Each Book Chapter Having its Own Numerical List of Sources?

Hi there. I'm using Zotero in Libre Office. Is it possible to have each chapter "reset" as far as the numerical citation notations go? For example:

Chapter 1

Claim in the first chapter.1 Another claim.2 A third claim in the first chapter.3

Chapter 2

First claim in the second chapter.1 Second claim in this chapter.2 Third claim in the second chapter.3

Bibliography

Chapter 1

1. First citation for first chapter.
2. Second citation for first chapter.
3. Third citation for first chapter.

Chapter 2

1. First citation for second chapter.
2. Second citation for second chapter.
3. Third citation for second chapter.

Etc.

I tried this and it worked until I actually created the bibliography. Then it changed all of the citation numerals to sequential order for the whole book. But I have a lot of citations and don't want to get into triple figures for the superscript numerals, because it looks messy and confusing.

Also, it's entirely possible that I'm not using the correct style to get the results I want. I'm writing a book and what I'd like is to keep it fairly uncluttered. I'm using Chicago/Turabian. I was hoping to have numbered notations within the text that match to numbered sources at the back of the book. I don't want to have footnotes, because I have so many references that half of each page would be footnotes.

Thanks for any help!
  • edited March 9, 2016
    You'd have to have them in separate files and then remove field codes (that's the button with the broken chain link in the Word add-on) in a copy of the file before putting them all into a final file.
    No way I know of to make this work in a single file.
  • Thanks for your quick reply, Adam! I edited my post while you were typing with a bit more info, but you have answered my main question.

So, what you're saying is that I'd have to create separate documents for each chapter, do their bibliographies, and then copy and paste into a final full-length document?
  • yup, exactly.
  • oh wait -- with Turabian/Chicago this is actually slightly different:
    You can set up Word to restart endnote numbering after each section, though I'm not sure where the endnotes appear -- that's entirely a Word setting, though. Zotero will just go along with that.

Zotero will treat any citation of a work that's been cited in a previous chapter as subsequent, though, so will give you the short form. If you don't want that, your options are again as per the above.
  • Okay, I'll look into that. I'm used to using Pages and other Mac-specific software, so Word/Libre is less familiar territory.

Cheers.
  • Hi Adam and Mark

I just wondered if there had been any update to the way of doing things suggested here? This is precisely what I am doing at the moment, and am copy and pasting in as you suggest, but hoped there might be another way.

Any advice gratefully received.

Best wishes

Lizz
  • No, this is still the way to go. Is there any problem you're experiencing? I don't really see much of a downside.
  • No it's all fine - just always like to see if there's a shortcut.