zotero does not appear in toolbar - or applescript

Hi there -

I have been searching your forums and trying the solutions I see there, but nothing is working so far. I would be grateful for your help, as I really love zotero.

I have been using zotero with mac for a while, no problem. I got a new computer: a Macbook with version 10.11.2 El Capitan. I have word version 15.18.

problem: no applescript menu in toolbar, and shortcuts I normally used for zotero in word did not work.

I re-installed zotero (version 4.0.28.8), tried both thru firefox and stand-alone. I got the applescript icon back up into the toolbar. No zotero there, however.

I have the zotero.dot thing in my word startup folder.

I can see that the zotero add-on for mac word integration is installed.

STill no go.

Two possibilities: I have the wrong applescript menu up? Reason I think this could be true is that menu (little scrolly thing) is in a different place than it used to be; that is, it's not to the right of "Help" in Word, but instead is next to my time machine icon. Maybe it's the wrong one?

Maybe my computer doesn't go the right startup menu thing?

I have restarted a bunch of times and re-installed a bunch of times, but still no way to make citations in word docs. Please help! Thank you!!
  • are you sure you have a startup folder set in Word under preferences--> File Locations in Word? What is it? This will show up as a toolbar, not in applescript in Word 2016
  • Hi- thanks for quick reply.

In word/preference/file location -

next to start up, it says applications/microsoft office 2011/office/startup/word

I don't see anything that says zotero or anything.
  • Maybe I have zotero stand alone and not stand alone installed? Maybe that's the problem?

or something about the startup folder not being in the right place?

I read somewhere that it's supposed to be in

/Library/Group Containers/UB8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word/

but I don't think mine is
  • also, if this is useful, when I went to word/tools/customize keyboard/macros, there was nothing there. no zotero.

tHANKS.
  • yeah, you specify the Word 2011 startup folder in Word 2016 (you're using 2016, right?). I don't think that'll work. Set startup to that other address, make sure Zotero.dot is in there, then try again.
  • it's word version 15.18 - is that 2016? damned if I know.

How do I set startup to that other address? or can you send me a link that tells me how? I'm looking for it now, but can't find it.
  • I tried to "modify" in word preferences, but I can't add the address I mentioned: /Library/Group Containers/UB8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word/
  • At what point do you fail to add that path? 15.18 is Word 2016, yes. Did you update Word? The fact that you have the 2011 folder would indicate that you, as a minimum, have the leftovers of an old Word installation left.
  • right. when I look at my applications, I see word for office 2011. So - not sure.

I do not know how to add the path. Can you tell me how?
  • So, why do you think you have 15.18? Could you take a screenshot and post it somewhere (of how your Word looks, that is).
  • i can put screenshot in a dropbox folder and share?? need email , though.

also, when I go to word, and then about word , it tells me it is version 15.18, 2015 Microsoft.
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/radzd4biradqfbl/word%20screen%20pic.tiff?dl=0
  • It looks like someone else had same issue i did: 2016 word, but 2011 startup pathway

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/56249/word-15-for-mac-cannot-get-toolbar/?Focus=244741
  • OK, so you'll want to do the same thing. You said you weren't able to set the startup folder to the other address. I don't have a Mac to check step by step, but if you tell me at which point/how that fails, I can probably tell you what to do/check.
  • Okay. I open up preferences for mac word. I go to file locations (i am doing what other guy from link seems to have done - I THINK). I see a two columns. One column is titled: "file types"

in that column:
    clipart pictures
    user templates
    workgroup templates
    autorecover files
    tools
    startup

the second column is titled "locations"

only two are listed.
    for user tmplates, the location is /Users/slr259/library/group C...ffice/user content/Templates

for startup: /Applications/microsoft office 2011/office/startup/word

then there's a button for "modify" and for "reset"

I select startup and hit modify button.

Then i get a window that says "Choose the location of the startup file." it gives me access to a bunch of stuff, but I can't find or seem to type in

/Library/Group Containers/UB8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word/

(assuming that's the right place. The only reason I think that's right is because I saw it in some other forum - I think maybe you may have said that that file was the proper one for word 2016.
  • Yes, that's the proper location and you're on the right path. How far along that path do you get? Can you see Library/Group Containers?
  • no -

where might that be? Applications? I have looked through what seem like all the options, and i can't find anything to click on .
  • Try starting with this:
    /Users/slr259/ and then the above filepath. That appears to be where your templates are.
  • Right. Sadly, there is no place for me type anything in. ONly option I have is to click click click to the right folder. I can get to slr259 (that's me), but there's no way for me to put in the rest of that filepath.

Is there another place for me to type this filepath in?
  • no, you should be able to navigate from there, I don't think it'll let you type. Are you saying you don't see a folder called library or Library in that folder?
  • edited February 26, 2016
    Hold down Option and click on the Go menu in the Finder to get to the user Library folder. It's hidden by default. You can also type in a full path with Go -> "Go to Folder…".
  • thanks. I do not see a folder called library in my little slr user folder. I see files like applications , desktop, downloads , music. no library.

I held down option and clicked on go and found library, but don't see a thing called "group" and don't know how I would connect startup to that pathway if I did find it?
  • The folder is "Group Containers".
  • no group containers either, sadly.
  • no - wait- found it.
  • Okay. i found the pathway . now how on earth do I lead my startup to there. ?
    nvm this then.
  • Are you not able to navigate to there from the Modify screen mentioned above?
    You can probably press Cmd-Shift-G to get a folder prompt in the Modify dialog, where you can paste in the full path. (Note that it is ~/Library/…, not /Library/….) You also might be able to drag the Word folder from the Finder to the folder prompt in the Modify dialog to have it navigate to that path.
    (Also, I don't have Word 2016 on my machine, but make sure that's the actual path, with the same set of characters within Group Containers — I only see one other reference online to that path. If you can, it'd be better to drag the Word folder into the dialog to make sure you're getting the right path. Make sure you don't drag it elsewhere, since that will actually move it, which you obviously don't want to do.)