Problem not finding files on new installation: Will Zotero give warning if file path is too long?

I've looked around the forum a little but haven't seen this exact topic.

Background: I just installed on a new machine, so I'll have to go back and check my other machines to see what's going on with this file on those. It just happened that the first couple files (PDFs) I tried to open couldn't be found on the new computer, so I started to get worried. Here's what I can tell thus far.

I'm working on Win 7 64 bit. New machine with brand new install of Zotero.

1) On new computer, I get the "The attached file could not be found.

It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero." error when I double click on the PDF. Note that all I've done with this install is to install and sync. Haven't moved directories around, added new files, or anything else.

2) There were a couple red exclamation point warnings on my first full sync, but those finally resolved and now there's none. The green sync arrow just stops spinning when it's done.

3) First thing I did was check that the file is still online. It is. Here is the URL of the Zotero record

https://www.zotero.org/matt_jans/items/itemKey/76SVPCM2

I can pull up the file online by clicking on the link on the Zotero record page above, so I know it's backed-up to Zotero.

4) Looking in my \zotero\storage folder, there doesn't seem to be a \76SVPCM2 folder, so I'm wondering if maybe the whole folder didn't download.

The file has a relatively long name, "Bell - 1984 - Item Nonresponse in Telephone Surveys An Analysis.pdf".

If the full path is too long for Windows, will Zotero give me that warning, or will it just not sync the file and it's parent folder?

I'm going to go try moving my Zotero data folder to a shallower location and see if that helps.
  • (But to answer your question, Zotero should deal with too-long filenames automatically.)
  • I just found this on the support pages, and now I'm wondering if this is linked file. How would I know that? Thanks.

From here: https://www.zotero.org/support/attaching_files

"File Copies and Links

Files can be added to your Zotero library as either copies or links. With copies, a copy of the original file is stored in the Zotero data directory. File copies are synced if file syncing has been set up. In contrast, when a file is linked, Zotero only stores a link to the location of the original file. Linked files are not synced."
  • Thanks for the super quick response, Dan. Going to read the link you recommended.
  • now I'm wondering if this is linked file. How would I know that?
    There's a chain in the icon, and if you do "Show File" on them they're elsewhere on your disk than the Zotero 'storage' folder (within the Zotero data directory). But it's not a linked file if you can access it online.
  • Ok, thanks, Dan.

Here'd the debugging ID after going through all the steps on the page you provided.

FYI, I went through all the steps on the page you sent me. Everything was kosher re: computer A, so did that final step of resetting the sync and getting a debug ID. The file shows up now. Thanks so much!

Debug ID is below in case it's helpful, but it seems to be working now.

D1632522134
  • I'm having the same problem so I didn't want to start a new thread. I have a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit and the file sync went without error. However none of the files are present (despite having file icons in the UI).

But I don't have a "Computer B" as the link from Dan suggested (see below). I only use Zotero one computer. Should I try installing on some other computer to see if that syncs?

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing
  • msulli: No, please do start a new thread.