Zotero on MS Office 2016

Hello,

The icon of Zotero do not appears on Word, I installed Plugin directly in advanced option of Zotero.
when I try to install Firefox Plug in for Zotero a box says me : corrupted file...

I have the latest versions of Mac OS, Office and Zotero.

Please Help me :(

Best wishes
  • Could you try to be a bit more precise as to what you have done (e.g. there's no plugin you can install from the advanced options -- I'm assuming you mean the Cite tab of the preferences?) and what error message you're getting (exactly as you're getting it -- don't try to translate if it's not in English). Also, which Zotero version are you mainly using? The Firefox add-on or Standalone?
  • I updated my Zotero Standalone today it did not resolve the issue.

I also installed Firefox and the plug in for firefox.

In "ad on manager" I can see that an error message : Zotero Word for Mac integration could not be verified for use in Zotero. Proceed with caution. And the last update : Dec 29 of 2015.

Yes I mean in Cite > Ad on, I installed again successfully but I dont have any Zotero extension in Word.

If I try to install firefox Plug in for Mac Office : Error.
    3 boxes open :Impossible d'ouvrir le fichier ..... .xpi il manque des données ou des caractères etc..

And 2 box Word a trouvé du contenu illisible dans Zotero-MacWord-Plugin-3.5.13-2.xpi. Voulez-vous récupérer le contenu de ce document ? Si la source de ce document est fiable, cliquez sur Oui.

I click Yes and : Microsoft ne peut ouvrir ce fichier car certaines parties sont manquantes ou incorrects.

It seems that the problem is due to Word because the boxes are opened in Word..

Thanks
  • What's the version of the add-on listed in Standalone under tools/add-ons? It could be that the Word 2016 add-on isn't packed with Standalone yet, though I'm not sure.

For Firefox: It sounds like you're trying to install the add-on in Word. That's incorrect. You want to open the .xpi file in Firefox, not Word. Try that & this should work.
  • thank you !

I opened the .xpi file with Firefox it installed an ad on.
    But I don't understand why nothing appears in Word

Version of Mac plug in : 3.5.12.SA.4.0.28.8
  • note that the add-on in Word 2016 will appear in the add-ons tab, so check there.

Otherwise see https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#toolbar_does_not_appear_in_word_20042011_or_is_incompatible (applies to 2016, too)
  • Thank you very much ! It is working!

The Zotero Add-on was installed in "Macro Complementaires" directly in Word 2016 and not next to "HELP/Aide" menu of Mac.
  • My problem seems similar but different - I have word 2011 and am getting the visual basic problem code so i got word 2015 - here there was no icon at all - so i tried to install the zotero word for mac integration from the add ons menu and it said it happened but i dont see it

thanks

josh
  • Same as above -- manually install, making sure you're installing into the actual Word Startup folder.
  • ok it told me i have 2016 word and the custom toolbars are not displayed yet - i am happy to use 2011, what should i do with that one? - it gives me the cant load visual basic for applications readout -
  • Sorry that wasn't clear: by manually install I'm referring to this part:
    "you may need to move the Zotero.dot file into the “Word” directory within the equivalent of “Startup” in your language and restart Word. The correct path should be listed in Tools→Templates and Add-ins in Word. "

Not 100% sure how to find the Startup folder for Word for Mac 2016, but this may help: http://www.wordaddins.com/support/how-to-find-the-word-startup-folder/

If you have Word 2016, I'd just forget about fixing this in Word 2011 -- the VB error is usually messy to fix.
  • and for finding the Zotero.dot file in the first place (unless it's already in the startup folder), you can follow the same instructions as for Windows: https://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions
  • so i cannot find the word startup file from these instructions - sorry -

not in 2016
  • can you be more specific please?
  • I don't have Word 2016 for mac here, but the first set of instructions, ie. http://www.wordaddins.com/support/how-to-find-the-word-startup-folder/ (Method 2) really didn't help?
    That basic setup should be the same on mac. At what point is that failing for you?
  • of the three methods none seem to work -
    1- there is no folders of those names, no roaming appdata etc
    2 - dont work
    3 - dont work
  • sorry but you'll have to give me more than "don't work". Of course just using the Windows filepaths won't work. That's why I was pointing you to Method 2, which identifies the startup folder in the Word options.
    If you tell me at which point that doesn't work, I may be able to tell you more, but you'll have to work with me (or hope for someone with Mac Word 2016 to come by).
  • Got a new PC setup with Office2016 and Windows10. Installed the Firefox and word add-on as described, but get an error message in word, when I want to add a citation (see below). Have tried all remedies suggested on your support site, now I need professional help!
    Thanks

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

[JavaScript Error: "couldn't open library C:\Users\wma\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\qtsd18ck.default\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\resource\libzoteroWinWordIntegration.dll: error 193" {file: "file:///C:/Users/wma/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/qtsd18ck.default/extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroWinWordIntegration.js" line: 48}]'[JavaScript Error: "couldn't open library C:\Users\wma\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\qtsd18ck.default\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\resource\libzoteroWinWordIntegration.dll: error 193" {file: "file:///C:/Users/wma/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/qtsd18ck.default/extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroWinWordIntegration.js" line: 48}]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getDocument]
  • Profwilma -- please start a new thread (Start a New Discussion at the top left).
  • sorry - i will try to be more clear

there is not an option to follow this thread as options is not there file - options
  • I think the equivalent for Mac is "Preferences" and is under the "Word" menu.
  • ok - thanks - found preferences found file locations - set startup at desktop, but cant see it there?? or in other file
  • excellent -- would you mind pasting your startup folder location here (i.e the filepath)? Will make it easier to talk. If you want to, you can xxx out your username (only if you don't want people to see it; there are no security concerns in posting the whole thing here).
  • /Users/jose/desktop -

is that what you mean?
  • and you set that as your Word startup folder? that's quite odd -- did you change that from the previous location? you shouldn't
  • that is the location i picked for the startup folder, but it didnt seem to go there - i went to file locations, it had startup there you could click on it and modify its location by choosing someplace, so i did it, i can change it again
  • I would change it back to wherever it was before. The key would be to move the zotero.dot file _into_ that startup folder (which otherwise should be mostly empty)
  • it didnt have a location listed previosuly
  • when i do a search for startup folders, i find 2 one in library and one in word 2011, but not one in the desktop even though i told it to go there
  • the default location of the startup folder should be something like this:
    ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word
    (where obviously that random string will differ) -- so if you have one in Library that kind of looks like that, use that. Otherwise, see how far up in that path you can get. You should definitely have the User Content folder. What's in there?
    Sorry this is so messy. It shouldn't be, but there's also something a bit strange going on with your Word installation.
  • i found that startup folder in the library - all it had in it was Zotero.dot