deleting citation within text

How to delete a citation:
Am I doing it the best way? I found that the only way to delete a citation is to place the cursor within it in the text, then click on "insert citation" then "ok" then in the "insert citation" popup select "cancel". Then the citation and the reference both disappear (assuming that reference was cited only once in that location). Works for multiple citations also.

If this is the only way then the "insert citation" could be renamed by the developers as "insert/ remove citation"
  • What have you tried that doesn't work?

I just select the citation then press delete or right-click/cut.

NOTE: The citation is already grey, but that doesn't mean it's selected. You need to actually select (highlight) the citation before deleting.
  • edited May 3, 2009
    Edit: don't bother to read this long post: the answer is in the next post by Dan Stilman. :-)

I guess there is no way in zotero to delete a citation.

Consider the following scenario:

I am using openoffice, editing a paper, adding citations. My document preferences are (style = vancouver, display as = footnotes, format using = bookmarks)because this doc will later have to be edited by someone with MS office.

Now I realize I want to delete a citation, say the first one. When I do this, I want the citation numbers for the subsequent citations (and the bibliography below) to change, ie 2 must become 1, 3 become 2 & so on... & if that same reference was used anywhere again below, it must get a new citation number according to its position.

Zotero has the ability to modify citation nos as you add them. But seemingly not as you delete one of them.

None of the methods above (mine and arggem's) work this way. Am using version 1.5. Does it work better in 1?

I would say the following is required: a button/ icon saying remove citation (that the user could click after placing his cursor correctly. clicking that could open a box asking for confirmation, and if it is a multiple citation entry, then a dialog on which citation(s) to remove.

Hope it will be fixed.
  • Delete the citation, click Refresh button on the Zotero toolbar. No?
  • Fantastic....Thank you!!
  • If I want to keep a citation in one area of the document but delete it elsewhere, what should I do? Everything I have tried short of deleting and retyping the cited sentence makes the citation reappear when I refresh.
  • That just means you're not deleting the full field. You can change Word settings to highlight fields in gray (which I'm pretty sure is the default setting, so it may be there already if you look closely) — you just need to make sure you're not leaving any of the gray part behind.
  • (current default setting in Word is to only highlight the fields when they're selected)
  • I am using LibreOffice because a colleague began the document in that word processor and Word refuses to recognize the citations, even though I carefully saved bookmarks and not fields. In Libre, the citation numbers are not highlighted, and there is no way I can see to change that.
  • Ah, is it because I am using bookmarks that they are not highlighted? Is this something I can toggle back and forth without loosing everything?
  • are you using Reference Marks in LibreOffice? Those are shaded by default and if they're not for you, you can toggle the behavior under View --> Field Shading
  • And yes, I'd toggle to Reference Mark at this point if you're both going to be in LibreOffice anyway.
  • Field shading does not make the citations look different from the surrounding text. It only makes the page numbers show up with grey.
  • Toggling to bookmarks just changed my first three pages of citations from superscripted numbers to {Citation} with grey shading. Clearly the fields are still in there somewhere, because the citations on page 4 do not start with 1, but I know of no way to recover them.
  • wait -- toggling _to_ Bookmarks? Now you have me confused. I thought you were using bookmarks and were toggling to Reference Marks.
    So just to recap:
    - Bookmarks: not highlighted, not recommended if they can be avoided
    - Reference marks: highlighted when field shading is checked, recommended

(and if something happens during toggle you can either try a bunch of undos or close without saving and reopen).
  • Hi,
    I can't delete citation. I keep trying to delete by pressing the citation number--> add/edit citation then I press delete on my keyboard and after that I press refresh. But after refresh citation is not deleted. Before I've tried to delete entire sentence with citation number but that didn't change number of next citation so I was thinking that citation must be removed first.
    I want to delete only citation not reference.
    For example:
    Today is sunny. (1)
    Yesterday was rainy. (2)
    Next week will be cloudy. (3)
    Today is sunny. (1)

So, I want to delete first sentence, and I want last sentence keep and get this:
    Yesterday was rainy. (1)
    Next week will be cloudy. (2)
    Today is sunny. (3)

Please someone explain me what to do. Thank you
  • Simply delete the sentence containing the citation, then either insert a new citation or press the "Refresh" button in the Zotero word processor add-on
  • Ok, thank you so much!
  • From the contradictory comments, it appears that Zotero's method for removing a citation is neither clear nor robust.
    (signed) silas hoadley
  • @gholzwarth: You’ve misunderstood this thread. There’s only one answer here: delete the citation fully and press Refresh.

bwiernik was answering an unrelated question.
  • Hello.
    I understand that deleting the citation from the text is enough to remove a reference but how can I delete a citation that is placed along with 2 or more citations? What I mean to say is, I have four citations at one place lets say 20-24 and I want to delete reference number 21 then how do I delete it?

Thank you
  • @upm937 Click within the citation, 20-24, which may highlight it gray (depending on your Word settings). Then hit the Add/Edit Citation icon in the Zotero tab in Word. This will bring up a red window with your citations as blue rectangles. You can delete the one you don't want in there. It may take a bit of experimentation to place or move the cursor to the right place before hitting the delete/backspace.
  • @enozkan That was really simple. Thank you so much for your response.