RIS Import from Endnote, Mac Yosemite to Zotero Standalone

Hello,

I am really desperat, I have spent a better half of the weekend trying to fix this myself.

I am running Zotero 4.0.25.3 on a Mac 10.10.1 (Yosemite). I have followed the official documentation on this webpage, but Zotero does not import the attached pdf.

This is a library of +1000 entries, with approx. 800 pdfs. I have check the Output Style for the L1 Attachment field, and have saved the library.txt file in the endnote.data directory, where my PDF folder also is.

I am loosing it here. I was so excited to finally make the transition to Zotero, but I have multiple pdfs that are annotated and can't loose those.
  • Please post a single entry from the RIS file (starting with TY and ending with ER) that includes a PDF attachment.
  • Could you give us
    1. The complete filepath of you endnote data directory where you're saving the library.text file (if you're concerned you can x-out your username, thought that's just for privacy, there are no security concerns)
    2. A sample RIS export from Endnote for a single item with an attachment:
    open the RIS in TextEdit and copy one entry: it starts with TY and ends with ER -
  • Hey, thanks for the reply:

here is an entry:

TY - JOUR
    AB - This article introduces new statistics for evaluating score consistency. Psychologists usually use correlations to measure the degree of linear relationship between 2 sets of scores, ignoring differences in means and standard deviations. In medicine, biology, chemistry, and physics, a more stringent criterion is often used: the extent to which scores are identically equal. For each test taker (or other unit of measurement), the difference between the 2 scores is calculated. The root mean square difference (RMSD) represents the average change from 1 set of scores to the other, and the concordance correlation coefficient (CCC) rescales this coefficient to have a maximum value of 1. This article shows the relationship of the RMSD and CCC to the intraclass correlation coefficients, product–moment correlation, and standard error of measurement. Finally, this article adapts the RMSD and the CCC for linear, consistency, and absolute definitions of agreement. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved). (journal abstract)
    AD - Barchard, Kimberly A., Department of Psychology, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 4505 Maryland Parkway, P.O. Box 455030, Las Vegas, NV, US, 89154-5030
    AN - 2011-10186-001
    AU - Barchard, Kimberly A.
    DB - psyh
    DO - 10.1037/a0023351.supp (Supplemental)
    DP - EBSCOhost
    KW - concordance correlation coefficient
    consistency
    intraclass correlation
    reliability
    root mean square difference
    Error of Measurement
    Statistical Analysis
    Statistical Correlation
    Test Reliability
    Test Scores
    L1 - internal-pdf://3829176366/Barchard-2012.pdf
    M1 - 2
    N1 - University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV, US. Release Date: 20110516. Correction Date: 20120910. Publication Type: Journal (0100). Format Covered: Electronic. Document Type: Journal Article. Language: English. Major Descriptor: Error of Measurement; Statistical Analysis; Statistical Correlation; Test Reliability; Test Scores. Classification: Statistics & Mathematics (2240). Population: Human (10). Methodology: Mathematical Model. Supplemental Data: Text Internet. References Available: Y. Page Count: 15. Issue Publication Date: Jun, 2012. Publication History: First Posted: May 16, 2011; Accepted: Feb 10, 2011; Revised: Feb 9, 2011; First Submitted: Dec 20, 2009. Copyright Statement: American Psychological Association. 2011
    Sponsor: University of Nevada, Las Vegas, US; Other Details: Sabbatical grant.; Recipients: No recipient indicated
    PY - 2012
    SN - 1082-989X
    1939-1463
    SP - 294-308
    ST - Examining the reliability of interval level data using root mean square differences and concordance correlation coefficients
    T2 - Psychological Methods
    TI - Examining the reliability of interval level data using root mean square differences and concordance correlation coefficients
    UR - http://www.redi-bw.de/db/ebsco.php/search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx%3fdirect%3dtrue%26db%3dpsyh%26AN%3d2011-10186-001%26site%3dehost-live
    barchard@unlv.nevada.edu
    http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/met/17/2/294/
    VL - 17
    ID - 2537
    ER -

The file path, starting with my HD/user/admin/documents/University/Dissertation/Endnote.Data

Best Regards
  • Can you confirm that you have the PDF at HD/user/admin/documents/University/Dissertation/Endnote.Data/pdf/3829176366/Barchard-2012.pdf
  • edited January 18, 2015
    And your RIS file is placed at HD/user/admin/documents/University/Dissertation/Endnote.Data ? Can you take the entry you posted above, paste it into a new text file (using Notepad) and then save the text file to HD/user/admin/documents/University/Dissertation/Endnote.Data (name it something like test.ris). Then in Zotero, Import test.ris file and generate a Debug Log for the import (start debugging before you import the test.ris file)
  • edited January 19, 2015
    Dear Aurimas,

yeah, I have tried this round about 20 times. Maybe you find if I did something wrong. Thanks for doing this. I did the debug log, worked easy.

I've sent it to the Zotero Server.

The ID is:
    D241666933 (Sorry, I forgot this the first time)
  • (@Dan - can you see anything useful in there?)
  • (4)(+0000000): Translate: Adding attachment

(2)(+0000000): cleanAttachmentURI: Invalid URI: PDF/3829176366/Barchard-2012.pdf

(2)(+0000000): Translate: Invalid attachment URL specified <PDF/3829176366/Barchard-2012.pdf>
  • @Malarija the folder that holds your PDFs, is that Endnote.Data/pdf or Endnote.Data/PDF ? (i.e capital or lowercase pdf)?
  • What does that mean? The pdf is in this location an I can open it.
  • edited January 19, 2015
    well, on a Mac the locations
    /user/admin/documents/University/Dissertation/Endnote.Data/pdf/3829176366/Barchard-2012.pdf
    and
    /user/admin/documents/University/Dissertation/Endnote.Data/PDF/3829176366/Barchard-2012.pdf

are different. I'm asking you which one it is (the key part, again, being whether the name of the folder "pdf" is in lowercase or uppercase letters).
  • I can reproduce this. We broke it in the last release. Fix coming.
  • never mind my question then.
  • The folder name is uppercase, sorry, I reproduced this not correctly.
    I didn't pay attention typing.
  • Hi! is has it been fixed yet? thanks!
  • are you using Standalone or the Firefox add-on? I think we may have a fix you can use available on Firefox, though not on Standalone.
  • Firefox..thanks
  • Install the current beta: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev_builds#zotero_40_beta and try again. I'm not 100% certain this fixes things, but I think it should.
    If you don't want to stay on the beta, you can revert to the regular release simply by re-installing it once you're done importing.
  • I am using the standalone. Looking forward to hearing from you guys, when something is available.
  • Just double-checking--will this handle endnote exports WITH PDF attachments? (ie will the pdfs get re-attached to the corresponding Zotero record?) Thanks a million for your speedy responses!!!
  • it should, yes, but please test with a small bit--as I say, I think this should be fixed in the beta, but I haven't actually tested this (and note the general instructions on where to place the .ris file from Endnote)
  • I don't think this is fixed in Beta builds yet. The relevant fix is here: https://github.com/zotero/zotero/pull/614 which still needs to be accepted.
  • Having a similar issue. Looking forward to a solution! Thank you for all your efforts.
  • Hi -- Any luck with this yet?
  • This will be fixed in the next release which is due out shortly. Probably tomorrow, maybe some time later today.
  • AWESOME! Thanks for the speedy answer!
  • What will be the number associated with the next release? (I've lost track and just want to make sure I'm dealing with the very latest! Thanks!)
  • And where can this be downloaded? (Sorry if a stupid question, but I don't see that version on the main download page)