Style Request: Ecology

I am looking for a style that follows the ESA Journal "Ecology" (not the same as the Journal of Ecology). The closest style I can find to it so far is National Library of Medicine. Some of the differences I notice are in NLM the author is listed as "Weller JM." with the year at the end of the citation and in Ecology it would be listed as "Weller, J. M. 1960."

I have added the types of format style that Ecology follows below. If anyone could assist me with this you would make my job so much easier and keep me from making as many mistakes as I do when I try to format manually. Thank you for the help!

Examples of format style:

Agency as Author:

National Park Service. 1988. Management policies. U.S. Department of Interior, National Park Service, Washington, D.C.

U.S. Forest Service (USFS). 1993. ECOMAP. National hierarchical framework of ecological units. USFS, Washington, D.C.

Journal Article:

Aller, A. R. 1960. The composition of the Lake McDonald Forest, Glacier National Park. Ecology 41:29-33.

Bradbury, J. W., S. L. Vehrencamp, K. E. Clifton, and L. M. Clifton. 1996. The relationship between bite rate and local forage abundance in wild Thompson’s gazelles. Ecology 77:2237-2255.

Smith, J., and J. Davis. 1990. Cougars and people. Science 4:12-56. (www.science.com/smith1990). Accessed 2004 March 30.

Book:

Harvill, A. M., Jr., T. R. Bradley, C. E. Stevens, T. F. Wieboldt, D. M. E. Ware, D. W. Ogle, and G. W. Ramsey. 1992. Atlas of the Virginia Flora, 3rd edition. Virginia Botanical Associates, Farmville, VA.

Edwards, E. W. F. 1992. Likelihood. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore.

Book Chapter:

Watson, P. J. n.d. Of caves and shell mounds in west-central Kentucky. Pages 159-164 in Of caves and shell mounds. The University of Alabama Press, Tuscaloosa.

McCauly, E. 1984. The estimation of abundance and biomass of zooplankton in samples. Pages 228-265 in J. A. Dowling and F. H. Rigler, editors. A manual on methods for the assessment of secondary productivity in fresh waters. Blackwell Scientific, Oxford, UK.

Report:

Holthausen, R. S., M. G. Raphael, K. S. McKelvey, E. D. Forsman, E. E. Starkey, and D. E. Seaman. 1994. The contribution of federal and nonfederal habitats to the persistence of the northern spotted owl on the Olympic Peninsula, Washington. General Technical Report PNW-GTR-352. U.S. Forest Service, Corvalis, Oregon.

Bass, S., R. E. Gallipeau, Jr., M. Van Stappen, J. Kumer, M. Wessner, S. Petersburg, L. L. Hays, J. Milstone, M. Soukup, M. Fletcher, L. G. Adams, and others. 1988. Highlights of natural resource management 1987. National Park Service, Denver.

Jackson, L. L., and L. P. Gough. 1991. Seasonal and spatial biogeochemical trends for chaparral vegetation and soil geochemistry in the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. US Geological Survey, Denver. Open File Report 91-0005.

Thesis/Dissertation:
Diong, C. H. 1982. Population and biology of the feral pig (Sus scrofa L) in Kipahula Valley, Mau’i. Dissertation. University of Hawai’i, Honolulu.

McTigue, K. M. 1992. Nutrient pulses and herbivory: Integrative control of primary producers in lakes. Thesis. University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.

Conference Proceedings:

Gunther, K. A. 1994. Changing problems in bear management, Yellowstone National Park twenty-plus years after the dumps. Ninth International Conference on Bear Research and Management. Missoula, MT, International Association for Bear Research and Management, Bozeman, MT, February 1992:549-560.

Webb, J. R., and J. N. Galloway. 1991. Potential acidification of streams in Mid-Appalachian Highlands: A problem with generalized assessments. Southern Appalachian Man and Biosphere Conference. Gaitlinburg, 1991.

Internet Citations:

Cane, J. H. 2001. Habitat fragmentation and native bees: A premature verdict? Conservation Ecology 5:3. Online. (http://www.consecol.org/vol5/iss1/art3). Accessed 1 April 2004.
  • edited January 13, 2009
    Where exactly did you find these examples? I've looked on the ESA website, but I couldn't find any instructions how to format citations (I also couldn't find the examples you listed), but maybe I missed it.

P.S. I just added a first draft of a style for Ecology to the Zotero Style Repository (http://www.zotero.org/styles). For now I only prepared the style for formatting of journal articles, books and book chapters. Let me know if you encounter any errors/problems.
  • I am a contractor for the National Park Service and they follow the Ecology format in their publications. The citations are from their formatting guide. Thank you for adding the style.
  • edited January 15, 2009
    The citations are from their formatting guide.
    Can you provide the URL of that guide?
  • Unfortunatly not, it is not a public link. I do have the PDF.
  • Many thanks for adding the Ecology style on the zotero website. However, two things need to be corrected:

For journal articles, the volume number should be in bold.

An extra period gets added at the end of each reference in the bibliography - this should be removed.
  • Fixed some punctuation issues.
  • Thanks for creating the Ecology style!

A couple problems I am having:
    In the citations I am adding to a word document, frequently the first name or initials of the author and coauthor appear. So for example a citation that should be (Gergel 2005) ends up being (Sarah E. Gergel 2005). I have check that the information is entered in the right fields and it is... and suggestions?

Another issue is that even if there are three or more authors, a second author will appear in the citation. For example a citation that should be (Vitousek et al. 1997) ends up being: (Vitousek, Mooney, et al. 1997)

Any help would be much appreciated!
  • the first one has to do with disambiguation. It usually occurs when there are several Gergels in your Zotero. Even if you may not think that's the case it still may be:
    For Zotero, S.E. Gergel, Sarah Gergel, and Sarah E. Gergel are three different authors that require disambiguation.

The second issue could either be a setting in the style (then it would be consistent across all cases) or also be disambiguation
    (e.g. if ther eis Vitousek, Smith, ane Meyer 1997 as well as Vitousek, Mooney and Smith 1997)
  • Adamsmith:

Thanks for your answer. The answer in both case seems to be disambiguation. In the second case, though, Zotero approaches single-author papers in the same year by adding an "a", "b", etc. after the year in the citation. With multiple authors it follows the Vitousek example -- by adding the second author before the "et. al."

Does anybody know if this is consistent with the style of Ecology?
  • edited August 29, 2009
    No it's not. Disambiguation should only be by adding a,b,c etc. to the year:
    See the two Nunez papers cited in this free article for an example
    http://www.esajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1890/08-2139.1

If you are desperate for it now, you can edit the CSL yourself like this
    You will need to delete this line in the citation section at the bottom of the CSL:
    <option name="disambiguate-add-names" value="true"/

Better to wait for one of the nice people who know the vagueries of the SVN submission system to do it for you and upload the final style.

Will that make it perfect?
    And do you know if the other 3 ESA journals use exactly the same style?
    If so, the nice people could also make dependent styles for:
    Ecological Applications
    Ecological Monographs
    Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment
  • Hi everyone,
    I am using the "ecology" style and there is a problem when citing multiple references.
    The citations should appear like this : (Bruno 1977, Albert 1995), i.e. ordered chronologically and not alphabetically.
    But in my document it appears like this: (Albert 1995, Bruno 1977)
    In the literature cited section all the references must be (and are) ordered alphabetically.

Do you know how to solve this problem ?
    Thank you !
  • You can fix your local copy of the style by changing the lines:

<sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key variable="issued"/>
    </sort>

to

<sort>
    <key variable="issued"/>
    </sort>

in the <citation> section.
    (NOT the bibliography section)

General instructions are here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits

If you can you confirm, either from the official style guide or some examples from articles, that this is the rule, then hopefully someone can change the Zotero Repositiory version for you (and everyone!)
  • OK - I confirmed it myself with my own link to the free paper above :)

there is evidence of poor dispersal of fungal species outside Pinaceae plantations (Mikola 1953, Lamb 1979, Allen et al. 1992, Davis et al. 1996)
    If someone could fix this sort issue, that would be fab!
  • thanks - fixed on repository
  • I don't think that <option name="disambiguate-add-names" value="true"/> and <option name="disambiguate-add-givenname" value="true"/> should be true. I want someone to set this to false unless anyone can prove that they should be there. I think disambiguate-add-givenname needs to be removed cause setting it to false usually doesn't work. Another thing does the DOI really need to be added?
  • Thank you for your help !
    Josefa

ps : the url for the style guide is : http://esapubs.org/esapubs/preparation.htm,
    but it is not really informative :
    "
    Literature cited (and other citations)
    The list should conform in sequencing and punctuation to that in recent issues of the journal. All journal titles should be spelled out completely. Provide the publisher’s name and location when you cite conference proceedings or other books.
    "
  • I've been going through the papers in the latest issue of ecology and they do not add names to disambiguate but rather use a,b,c... so please fix this and remove <option name="disambiguate-add-givenname" value="true"/ and doi
  • "disambiguate-add-names" and "disambiguate-add-givenname" removed as requested.
  • I am having trouble with the number of initials appearing the bibliography. Zotero seems to only recognize or use the first initial with this format, when, for many references, at least 2 should appear and do appear in my library.
  • can't be done with Zotero currently - might be possible with the new csl once it's implemented.
  • Dear all,

I recently encountered a minor issue using this style. The language setting of my computer being french (as long as I am...), the citation of a paper written by 2 authors appeared with an "et" between the two names, and not with an "and" as expected for english publications.
    With a colleague, we suggest setting by default the language of the style to American English.
    To correct this, we added at the end of the very first line of the style code this command : default-locale="en-US".

Cheers,

VB
  • thanks, that's exactly the right thing to do, I'll set the default language asap.
  • The macro "access" seems to be commented out in the bibliography section of this style. This is true for the version in the zotero style repository. As a result, the URL of webpages is not outputted into the bibliography.

However, if you "un-comment" the access macro, then the code for this style fails to validate. I've tried to fix this, but it seems to be beyond me. Does anyone else know what this should look like?
  • edited November 15, 2012
    With a little more work I found the error. Apparently the suffix within the layout line was causing the code not to validate. If you modify the code so that the suffix is added using a group statement instead, it works. Then you can uncomment the access macro and get your URL's to show up in the bibliography.

Mine looks like this, and seems to work:

<layout>
    <group suffix=".">
    <text macro="author" suffix="."/>
    <text macro="issued" suffix=" "/>
    <text variable="title"/>
    <text macro="locators"/>
    <text macro="edition"/>
    <group delimiter=". " prefix=". ">
    <text macro="publisher"/>
    <text macro="access"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </layout>
  • The "suffix" attribute should work on the cs:layout element. Also, the "accessed" macro was explicitly deleted by Charles Parnot from Papers a while back: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/commit/b5a7446bf3dc1402fd72a985902eca20a2eed10c
  • I've put the URLack in, but w/o access date and only for webpages - that looks like what the journal does.
  • "An extra period gets added at the end of each reference in the bibliography - this should be removed."

I am also getting a double period in the Ecology style, but it is after report titles. Can it be removed somehow?