ScienceDirect not importing any information

Report ID:2156881

For a wee while (maybe a few months) I've not been able to import any references or PDFs from any sciencedirect page. Above report ID is presumably related to that. Other sites pretty much work ok.

thanks
Adam
  • we need a URL you're trying to save from exactly as you see it in the address bar.
  • Hi Adam

Sorry didn't realise:

http://www.sciencedirect.com.libproxy.ucl.ac.uk/science/article/pii/S1449403510000044

thanks
    Adam
  • OK, that should work. We'd want you to run through these as they apply:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues
    in particular 7 and 10.

Also, what exactly happens? Are you getting an error message (that'd be included in the error report above) or does the item import fail silently?
  • I just get the little box on the bottom right of the browser window that says 'Saving to Research Commissioning... and nothing else in it. It stays for a few seconds and disappears, Nothing appears in the relevant zotero folder or elsewhere in zotero standalone (which is open).

I've tried restarting Zotero, updated the translators, restarting safari etc. No avail.
  • what browser is that? If you're on Firefox, have you tried with Standalone closed?
  • Safari 8.0.8 on mac os x 10.10.5

just tried it with zotero closed and essentially the same result (more generic saving message)
  • OK, thanks. We'll then need a debug ID from the Safari connector that covers trying to save that item:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_connectors_chrome_and_safari

My guess would be that the proxy is messing up some cookie transfer, but the debug will tell us more.
  • Here you go

The Debug ID is D1101152465.
  • edited September 11, 2015
    See also:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/51826/zotero-capture-feature-not-working-with-science-direct-web-of-science-and-other-online-databases/#Item_6

Testing that (Dr. Cooper's) and other ScienceDirect URLs this morning: Inside my university proxy it takes 8 seconds from the moment that the Zotero download icon becomes the article symbol to the point that clicking the icon will not cause the behavior described above. Outside the proxy there is still a delay but it is 3 to 4 seconds. That is a long time to wait after seeing the article title and seeing the summary.

That the saving to box appears but nothing is saved initially was confusing to me. Only after I paid closer attention to what was occurring on my screen did I realize the basis for the delay.
  • Thanks for the tip DWL-SDCA, i've tried waiting but to no avail. If I wait say 10 seconds after the icon appears, and click - nothing. Waiting a further 10 seconds makes no difference. I think there is something more fundamental going on here maybe...?
  • I also have no problem importing a citation from WoK - I have a problem importing PDFs from some sites (EBSCOhost for instance) but the metadata all gets downloaded fine everywhere except SD.
  • I should say - in response to adam's earlier request to follow troubleshooting steps 7 and 10 above. If I hover the icon it does say 'Save to Zotero (ScienceDirect)' and my system clock is set correctly...
  • (@Dan -- could to take a look please?)
  • (4)(+0008424): Translate: Parsing code for ScienceDirect

(3)(+0000001): Translate: Beginning translation with ScienceDirect

(3)(+0000000): Translate: Translation successful

(5)(+0000000): Translate: Running handler 0 for done

(3)(+0000002): HTTP POST {} to http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/getSelectedCollection

(3)(+0000006): Connector: Method getSelectedCollection succeeded
    We'll probably need a Debug ID from Standalone for a save attempt as well.
  • Hi
    Just tried this again - Debug ID is D415886143

I did just try it again just now by re logging into UCL proxy server and then hitting save to zotero, without restarting either Safari or Standalone.

cheers for you help people
  • Oh sorry I just sent a debug from Safari... this is the report ID i got from sending an error report to the server... 695324336

Hope that is what you need

cheers
    Adam
  • Sorry - that report is from the standalone as Dan requested
  • That's a Report ID. It's a Debug ID from Standalone for the save attempt that we need.
  • Here you go: Debug ID is D745860525
  • adamsmith:
    (5)(+0000001): HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    X-Zotero-Version: 4.0.28
    X-Zotero-Connector-API-Version: 2
    Content-Type: application/json

{"editable":true,"libraryID":null,"libraryName":"My Library","id":23,"name":"evidence policy"}
    Nothing else in there.
  • Hmm. I'm running out of ideas. Is this a desktop computer, or is there a way you could try this on campus, i.e. without the proxy (the .libproxy.ucl.ac.uk part of the URL)?
  • The problem is that the only way I get access to the pdf for download is via the single sign in as its called with takes us through the proxy.

I did manage to get it working once as it stopped for a while earlier in the year then it started downloading correctly, then it stopped. I'll see if I can do that and send you any info from that. until then thanks for looking...
  • OK, could you try if the data downloads correctly if you don't use the proxy (i.e. don't sign in)? I realize that's not a solution, I'm mainly trying to understand what's going on.
  • OK I went to science direct without the UCL proxy and got this debug code:
    D1422303473

It didn't act any differently when I did that by the way.

I also restarted ZotStandalone .
  • OK breaking news...
    I just went back to the original article I was trying to down load (using the UCL proxy server) and Zotero acted more normally - it downlaoded the metadata and a snapshot but not the PDF... shall I send some outputs?
  • no, I think that may be the best we can do for Safari on Sciencedirect via proxy at this time, so you'll have to attach the PDF manually.
  • OK - I may switch to firefox/Chrome instead for zotero stuff then and see if that makes things better. Thanks for checking either way guys - appreciate the help.
  • I've found that firefox works ok - so maybe an idea to switch from Safari or Chrome to firefox.
  • Hi all,

I'm having the same problem with ScienceDirect articles. Just as dr.adam.cooper posted earlier:
    > I just get the little box on the bottom right of the browser window that says 'Saving to XXX...' and nothing else in it.

It seems that only certain articles are affected, maybe only old ones. Here is one that Zotero fails to import on my computer: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0584853976801316
    This newer one works fine: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0584853995014756

Maybe the translator somehow fails because of the "This document does not have an outline." part of the website?

I'm running newest versions of Zotero Standalone and Google Chrome on Windows 7. Connection to the internet without proxy or VPN. Debug ID D379992530.

Thanks for looking into this problem!
  • The Debug ID above is from the Chrome plugin. Debug ID of Zotero Standalone is Debug ID is D1533795687. Please excuse the double post.