Copying and Importing text

Dear Zotero Team

I use Zotero all the time, and one of the advantages is switching between citation styles. Recently, I've been struggling at importing Zotero references.

For example - I have a new doc. I'm citing in Chicago. I'm writing in the doc, but also want to import previous text from another doc, or in fact the whole old document. This has a different citation style.

I thought - ok import text through 'insert' 'object' 'text as file', and just reset the zotero style, I'll be fine. But no. The imported text doc is resisting my attempts to modify the citation style, even though when you click in the references, they still exist as zotero references. They haven't become 'just text'.

Is this making sense? I'm finding it hard to explain, but hoping you what I'm saying and will have an answer.

Thanks !
  • Not sure about importing whole files, but you can just copy and paste from the other document and click the Zotero plugin's Refresh button.
  • That hasn't been working. It's odd. Do I have to transform the text I'm importing into the style of the main document first?
  • edited June 15, 2015
    You need to set a citation style for the target document first (either by inserting a citation or using "Set Document Preferences").

edit: hmm re-read your post, seems like that's already the case. Did you try re-setting the citation style in the source doc?
  • But to be clear - you shouldn't be using any _import_ function. You should just use copy & paste.