Title field with Latex symbols export

I do articles in LYX (Latex Editor), use bibliography as Bibtex database (.bib). Titles can have sub and super scripts and greek symbols, so i use latex codings such as {Ca$^{2+}$} . I do prepare bibliography in Zotero (easy), do export in BIBtex format and use .bib file in LYX. But when export Zotero do some conversion, so it become not Latex code.
  • Example:
    let us prepare in Zotero title: Model for signal-induced {Ca$^{2+}$} and {IP$_3$} oscillations; then after export it become such: {Model for signal-induced \{{Ca}\${\textasciicircum}\{2+\}\$\} and \{{IP}\$\_3\$\}}...
    Thanks to somebody to help me, I am new with Zotero
  • Try Model for signal-induced Ca<sup>2+</sup> and IP<sub>3</sub> oscillations See https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/rich_text_bibliography for few more markup options.

Zotero doesn't support BibTeX markup in fields and takes everything literally. Currently, there are no plans to change this.
  • <sup></sup>, <sub></sub> - it works Thanks
  • What do you think about greek symbols - they really can be in title field?
  • What do you mean? You should be able to just enter Greek symbols in any of the fields and they will be correctly exported.
  • I mean, is there a tool to report to Zotero through some characters that here should be a big / small Greek letter?
    Standard recording $ \ alpha $, inscribed manually in Title field would be approached if Zotero during export would not change it.
  • If you use the UTF-8 characters, e.g. "α", it will work. They will also be transcribed into their TeX representations if you export in any other character set.
  • It is not work.
    If i set utf8 for export then
    ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:α not set up for use with LaTeX.
    (Miktex, Texworks, pdflatex+Makeindex+Bibtex,
    \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc})
  • If i set any other cyrillic encoding for export, then after export russian language can not be seen
  • we may not translate Russian letters to LaTeX escaping (you asked about greek, which we do) when exporting.

Regular utf-8 characters such as α should and do work, though. If that's not working, you'd have to troubleshoot that on the LaTeX side of things.
  • The point is in the task as a whole. We talked about the Greek symbols, and sub and super scripts because they are found in the titles of articles on physics and chemistry. Zotero users also live in different countries and write articles in languages other than English (also everybody write in English, as the language of communication).
  • So the problem to bring the Russian text of the header in the proper form - this is just an example of non-English bibliography. And this two problems can not be solved separately. The problem is not in latex but in the point between Zotero and latex.
  • There are two separate issues:
    1. Modern LaTeX is utf-8 capable. People writing in languages using non-Latin alphabets should be using utf-8, which Zotero exports and LaTeX can process. If you have Russian titles, you should make them work with LaTeX and that is, indeed, a LaTeX/Bibtex issue, not a Zotero issue.

2. Two support legacy LaTeX without utf-8 support, Zotero will convert a relatively large, but necessarily not-comprehensive list of characters to their corresponding LaTeX escaping. This will work for most accented characters as well as greek letters when exporting in any other than utf-8 encoding.

If you're writing in Russian and 1.) isn't an option for you, you'll need to find an alternative to Zotero, sorry.
  • The discussion was continued here
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/49606?page=1