New Australian Legal citation style

• I get the install prompt and click on install...and then nothing happens.
  • what do you mean by nothing happens? Can you see style in the Cite tab of your Zotero preferences?
  • edited March 31, 2011
    downloaded the https://gist.github.com/892084 and installed it.

the style has not updated so that I don't get abbreviated case names for subsequent case citations of the same case.

Do you think that this has anything to do with the issue of the case names repeating themselves? After I updated to zotero 2.1 the case name repeats itself in every case citation (but not the vol No/vol/year/court eg:

Regina v Bow Street Metropolitan Stipendiary Magistrate, ex parte Pinochet Ugarte (No 3)Regina v Bow Street Metropolitan Stipendiary Magistrate, ex parte Pinochet Ugarte (No 3), 1 AC 147 (HL, 2000)

Any help is really appreciated because I have to submit my dissertation in 3 weeks.
  • All of the above issue were resolved when I updated to the latest version of 2.1

However, there is one more problem with books with multiple authors, which didn't exist before 2.1, the citation has 2 extra commas before the third author...

Steven R. Ratner, Jason S. Abrams, , and , James L. Bischoff, Accountability for Human Rights Atrocities: Beyond the Nuremberg Legacy (3rd ed. 2009) 11

Any assistance again is appreciated with how to fix this
  • Ah, I see why that might happen. It's probably due to a bug, but check to see if any of the authors in the list are entered in single-field mode. If all are in two-field mode, the citation should come out correctly. If it still doesn't, post back and I'll take a look at the style.
  • Hi I just updated to 2.1.6 and it has affected the pinpoint citations for some cases by italicising the pinpoint references. any help is appreciated...
  • It also italicising the pinpoint citation for books
  • 2.1.6 has pretty much changed all the citation styles to italicise the wrong fields... if someone can help I would be really appreciative, submitting a thesis this week.

Can anyone tell me how I can install 2.1.3 again and remove 2.1.6?
  • edited April 16, 2011
    This is likely caused by a bug in the way italics (and boldface) are handled in RTF output (the format that the processor ships to Zotero for use in the document). You can check whether this is the case by selecting a case item in the Zotero center pane, and then, visiting chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul. Enter a pinpoint in the field next to the "Page" button and click "Refresh". If the pinpoint turns up in normal typeface here, we've found your bug.

Assuming that the issue I have identified is the cause of the stray italics in your document, you will be better off upgrading, rather than rolling back to 2.1.3 -- the earlier version has the same bug, but other problems that have been fixed in the 2.1.6 may have been masking it. The fix will require an upgrade to the processor. I've already done the coding, and will make a fresh processor release (citeproc-js 1.0.149) soon. You can watch the timeline of the Zotero source archive to see checkin activity by the core developers. Once the new code has been "merged to branch", you'll have a simple means of installing it on your system.
  • Steven R. Ratner, Jason S. Abrams, , and , James L. Bischoff, Accountability for Human Rights Atrocities: Beyond the Nuremberg Legacy (3rd ed. 2009) 11
    Please also let us know whether this formatting error has been fixed by the 2.1.6 upgrade.
  • Hi Fbennet -

Re: multiple authors as cited above, yes that has been fixed by 2.1.6

Re: the bug causing the italics - when you say once the new code has been merged to branch, i'll have a simple means of installing it onto my system - how do I install it onto my system?
  • The code is now in the branch XPI. Be sure your Zotero data and any documents you use with Zotero are backed up before installing it. Installation works in the same way as the current release (i.e. by clicking on the link and following the steps). It will not upgrade your database, so you can switch back to 2.1.6 anytime. If you do install the branch version, you can (and should) install the next version (2.1.7) when it comes out -- otherwise, you will be automatically updated to the latest branch XPI, which is less stable and probably not what you want.
  • thanks, I just installed it, and updated the document and this is happening:

Darryl Robinson, “The Identity Crisis of International Criminal Law” (2008) 21 <i>LeidenJIntlL</i> 925;
  • If this is a fault report, please provide the following information:
    • The entry as you want it to be rendered, so that we can tell what's wrong with this output.
    • The plain text input for the fields that produce this output (Author, Title, Date, Volume, Page, and Journal Abbreviation (?), noting any rich text markup in the field, if any.
    • A copy of the style installed on your system. Paste it into http://gist.github.com/, save it as a public gist, and post the URL from the address bar back here.
    We have had no other reports of stray italics or other font formatting, so if this is about the italics being misplaced, it is likely a style issue, or something special about your input. The same would go for any missing or misplaced punctuation. If it is about the abbreviation of the journal being joined up without punctuation, we'd need to see the input and the style to investigate further.

If the output is correct, please let us know. :)
  • Hi all - I have uploaded another version of my AGLC 3rd ed modified version, which includes numerous tweaks including upgrading to CSL 1.0 (and including automatic note-referencing). I have just used this to submit an article and think it's probably ready to upload on to the style repository. I'm putting together a document outlining which parts it conforms with AGLC version 3 - it's not possible to completely conform with it because of its incredible complexity, which I'll post online somewhere. It's on git://gist.github.com/819989.git.
  • thanks - please see the notes here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/sharing_styles?&#preparing_styles_for_distribution
    on naming, link, and rights.
  • I can't find the AGLC style on the new repository or the old repository - what am I doing wrong?
  • I believe it's just called "Australian Legal Citation".
  • Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to this AGLC instead of using my (very heavily) modified version of Will Horton's LaTeX style sheet.

I have some questions:

• can you cite inline? Seems I can only do footnotes.
    • Short names for cases don't seem to appear
    • 'above n' citations appear as Author, Title (not in italics), above n ___ (ie an underscore where the number should be).
    • Also shouldn't 'above n' citiations not include the title? (ref AGLC3 1.4.2)
    • Book entries seem to appear as Author, Title (year published). Shouldn't that be Author, Title, (Publisher, edition, year published)? (ref AGLC3 s 5)
    I don't mean to be picky. My version of Will's LaTeX style sheet isn't so crash and I'm trying to work out which is more work - to use Zotero or to fix the style sheet.

Many thanks

Mark

• can you cite inline? Seems I can only do footnotes.
    Zotero has both inline and footnote styles. If you want to mix the two, you can set up an inline (in-text) style, and create footnotes manually.
    • Short names for cases don't seem to appear

• 'above n' citations appear as Author, Title (not in italics), above n ___ (ie an underscore where the number should be).

• Also shouldn't 'above n' citiations not include the title? (ref AGLC3 1.4.2)

• Book entries seem to appear as Author, Title (year published). Shouldn't that be Author, Title, (Publisher, edition, year published)? (ref AGLC3 s 5)
    These are just artifacts of neglect; the AGLC style hasn't had much attention from anyone since Zotero 2.0 days. I've started a project (at the CitationStylist site) to build fully operational legal styles for several jurisdictions. The work there is about 40% complete, and a few months away from release. I wrote to the AGLC editors a couple of times before beginning, and didn't receive a response. I've also pinged AustLII once or twice, but had no response there either.

The six other styles in the project are keeping me pretty busy, so I'm not likely to pick up on AGLC right away; but if you'd like to work on it that would be great. I can post a set of requirements if you're interested.
  • Send me the requirements. I haven't got the first clue about writing styles for Zotero and I haven't touched Will's style in nearly a year so rusty on LaTeX too. Oh, and I have an assignment due in two weeks :-)

But send it through anyway.

• On reflection, I probably spoke too soon. The development tools are a creature of my own desktop environment at the moment, thrown together on the fly, and not (yet) particularly friendly. If you are working against deadlines, I'm sure this is something you won't want to tear into in the short term. But here's the run-down.

The main thing is that CSL code for the MLZ styles needs to be validated against the MLZ extended schema. Documentation for the schema extensions, to be read together with the CSL 1.0 specification, is available here.

Each style in the MLZ suite uses its own local code for secondary resources, but there is much code sharing for jurisdiction-specific cite forms. That's done using a standalone maintenance script that implements configurable many-to-many dependencies for macro code. The styles share a common pattern of conditional statements for pulling in jurisdiction-specific macros, which makes maintenance a bit easier.

The proofsheets and style-level testing framework are handy for development (invaluable, actually), but they are generated with a bundle of tools that would be tough to install from scratch in their current form; at the moment it's an undocumented amalgam of Python scripts, the reStructuredText parser from Python docutils, a modified version of Eric Hetzner's zotero-plain tools, a modified version of the citeproc-node citation server used on zotero.org, LaTeX, and (at the moment) Unix shell functions. You probably don't want to go there ...

At some point this will all be pulled together into a more easily installable development bundle. But for the present it's probably best to concentrate on your paper. :)
  • Hello All,

Wanted to see if there was any interest from key developers of this style to complete the developing - including bibliography functions, perhaps solving the above N___ conundrum?

If there is some interest I may have access to some funding which might push it along a little.

Cheers,

David
  • I'd be happy to finish the style if there are some funds available. If you just want a well working Zotero style (i.e. add a bibliography, fix obvious issues like the N____) that doesn't require much (in terms of funds or time).

If you want the style to take advantage of all the features of MLZ ( citationstylist.org ) as described by fbennett above that'd be a pretty significant amount of work - I'd probably be willing to do that, too, but that'd be a couple of days rather than a couple of hours work.

You can contact me (Sebastian) using the e-mail at the bottom of this post:
    http://www.zotero.org/blog/register-for-zotero-trainer-workshops-in-boston-boulder-and-ann-arbor/
    or via http://www.zotero.org/adamsmith
  • Hi all -

I have a working AGLC style (in fact many different iterations), and they include I think most of the changes you've suggested. I haven't posted it as per instructed at the moment, but would be happy to share the style via email if that helps and/or send it to adamsmith to finish off.
  • Oops - forgot to send you my email: joycekwc at gmail.
  • Dear all - just to say that thanks to the sponsorship of David Carter and Sebastian Karcher, the AGLC style has now been rewritten and updated to AGLC 3rd edition and is on the style repository now. Thanks to all!
  • edited August 11, 2013
    Hi everyone, I am putting together a testing document for AGLC 3rd edition that uses examples taken directly from the Melbourne University PDF.
    http://goo.gl/2qDIwZ

I have put together a group of fellow law students at Deakin University and seeing as we're on different systems -- I use LibreOffice on Ubuntu, others on Mac, others on Windows -- this is going to come in handy for us.

It's available for public viewing so you should be able to download a copy in your format of choice.

I'm also going to record some tutorials on Zotero so I'll post here when I've started with that too.
    If anyone wants to get in touch with me, shoot an email to thecriticalgman at gmail.

-- Alexander
  • Hi everyone, I have created a Zotero group library to which I will add all the citations contained in the above-linked testing document.

To join the group: http://www.zotero.org/groups/aglc_testing

-- Alexander