New Australian Legal citation style

• edited April 12, 2010

I am having a problem with 'above n __.' For some reason zotero is not writing the reference to the above citation number in.
    Am I doing something basic wrong?
    No - Zotero just doesn't have that functionality yet, so the blank is a workaround.
    It's forthcoming, though.
  • Hi. For cases, the Court field seems to generate an excess comma, e.g. (PC,)
  • Thank you ever so much for this! It's really fantastic to have this style. There are two slight issues for me that I'm wondering if I can get some help on. I've made some slight edits to suit my preferences using the 'common edits', but these ones I can't figure out.

First, in the first citation, the page number I insert into the Zotero Add Citation dialog box doesn't appear. It does, however, for repeated citations. I'm not sure why.

The second request is whether there is a way to include Report Type and Report Number, and preferably Institution, into report citations. This would help with government documents such as Parliamentary Papers, or Working Papers produced by certain institutions. Again, I've had a look but I can't figure out what the variables for these are. If someone can point these out to me, then I can probably fix the style myself.
  • Thanks ajlyon, but I was actually looking for the field that matches the 'Report Type' field rather than as an item type. The guide you point me to seems only to refer to item types, rather than the fields within the item types.
  • @joycekwc,

No, the pages ajlyon links to contain the information that you need. Try this page (thirteenth line in the table, showing the Zotero field and CSL variable mappings for the "Report Type" label in the English version of the Zotero UI).
  • you want "genre" and "number" - if you click on report in ajlyon's link it will actually give you a list of all the variables available for report and you can kind of deduce that.
    This
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/csl_syntax_summary#variables
    also is a list of variables and their mapping, though not quite complete either.
  • Thanks all! What an incredibly quick response! I obviously wasn't looking hard enough. I have fixed the problem with report types now, but I still can't figure out why the first citation doesn't show the page number I insert into the dialog box. I have figured out the macro is at "at_page" but I don't know where I'm supposed to insert it into the code.
  • this style is quite complex, so I can't figure this out with a quick look.
    Try two things to troubleshoot:
    1. Does the page number show in the test panel
    chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul
    (put the page number in the box on the top)?
    2. Does the item type make a difference? Try case, bill, and report and see if any of them show page numbers.
  • Thanks - I did as suggested and some of the item types did differ. As a result, I was able to pinpoint that in the 'source' macro, some of these items asked for a locator and others didn't, so I was able to fix the problem. Thanks a lot for all your help!
  • My partner is required to use AGLC 3rd edition. Are there plans to update this style to the newer version of the style guide?

Thanks.
  • See http://www.zotero.org/support/requesting_styles and post the changes in the new edition. The style will certainly be updated, but we'll need your help identifying what's new.
  • Thanks ajlyon,

I've only just started investigating this, so I'm not sure of the differences between AGLC2 & AGLC3 (they are both available online as pdfs: AGLC2 and AGLC3). I imagine there might be people who would want (or are required) to stick with AGLC2, so how are updates handled with two in-use versions?

• Usually we will maintain both versions in the style repository for precisely that reason.
  • Damianfs - I have modified the AGLC2 version to include some AGLC3 modifications, but I haven't gone the whole hog because some of the AGLC3 modifications just make me crazy. It's still a work in progress so I haven't posted it anywhere yet, but if you think it'd be useful let me know and I'll try and figure out how to upload it.
  • we recommend uploading styles as public gists to gist.github.com - that will also allow you to edit them and is best if you want to eventually share them for upload to the repository.
  • Thanks adamsmith - I hadn't bothered exploring this so far but if anyone wants it my version is at git://gist.github.com/819989.git.
  • Thanks for that Joyce. I hope to work on it incrementally over the next few weeks.
  • let me know once there is a version that you think is worth uploading to the repository
  • Is anyone having a problem with the AGLC from the Style Repository - in the case field in my word doc the case name appears twice in the same citation. It only started happening when I installed the new updated Zotero last week.

any assistance is appreciated.
  • We've had the same report against Bluebook. I'll check into it and report back soon.
  • The processor is not quashing the title variable when it is rendered via a cs:substitute element. This is a bug, and will be fixed soon. (Bluebook and its derivatives do need to be rewritten, though; the processing logic in there is far from transparent.)
  • I've made the fix and issued a new processor release. The revised version will appear in a subsequent release of Zotero 2.1.
  • thanks very much. Really appreciate it.
  • Does anyone know how to get abbreviated case names for subsequent case citations for this style?
  • If you enter the short name in the shortTitle field, you can render the case name conditionally with the position attribute. The details of the language are here:

http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#choose
  • Thanks - but the reason why I asked is because when I put the short name in the ShortTitle field it does not appear in the repeated citation for the cases...
  • edited March 29, 2011
    You need to fix the CSL code in the style to make it appear. Doing so is simple in CSL, but the Bluebook style (and consequently the AGLC style that is based on it) is a mess, fashioned from many multi-purpose macros with overlapping elements and complex conditions. As I've written elsewhere, it's cheaper to start from scratch on this one; the style needs to be rewritten.

In the meantime, I've prepared a revised (even uglier) version of the style that will print the short form of the title (case name) for legal cases (using <text variable="title" form="short"/>) in subsequent references. You can download it from here: https://gist.github.com/892084

I haven't changed the style ID, since this is probably the preferred behavior. If that's right, let me know and I'll check the revision into the repository.
  • Can anyone help with this:

When I download Fbennett's link and try to add it to firefox (on a PC) I get the following message:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
  • if you still get the install prompt that's fine, you can ignore the message.