Citations one pesky document and one Video entry

I am using Standalone and Safari.

Please explain how to get Zotero to pull in the name of an author (that is clearly entered into Zotero) instead of using "Anon"? e.g. Brinkerhoff, 2008. I have already deleted the record from Zotero and re-entered it, but the problem persists as although the full record is visible in the system, Zotero replaces "Brinkerhoff" with "Anon". I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Similarly, what information does Zotero pull into Word for the citation when the record is of a video recording? It did not pull in the name of the "Contributor". To test the system, I also entered letters into Format, Series Title, Volume, # of Volumes, Place and Studio yet Zotero did not include any of those.

"Director" is not listed. Although I see "Contributor", Abstract, Format, Series Title, Volume, # of Volumes, Place, Studio, Date, etc, but no Director.

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • Is Brinkerhoff and Author or a Contributor in the item in question?

You can select "Director" by clicking on "Contributor" and selecting from the list that opens. That's generally how you change creator types in Zotero.
    Format, Series Title, Volume, # of Volumes, Place and Studio yet Zotero did not include any of those.
    all of those are passed on to the citation style by Zotero, but which are printed depends on the style. Which are you using?
  • I am using Harvard West of England - Bristol. I have to delete pp, and replace it with : then the number, but that's the closest to what my supervisor wants.

1. Brinkerhoff is the author of a document. She was down as "Contributor" for some reason, but I've changed her to Author. Unfortunately, the problem persists as Zotero jumps to the next instance of where "Brinkerhoff" is mentioned in the text and give the same message.

2. On a separate matter is the video.
    Excellent!!!!! Thank you. I see where I can select "Director" - if only I knew who the Director is. I know which organisation posted the YouTube video. Is that as close as I'm going to get? Or do you have another suggestion?

Regards,
  • I have to delete pp, and replace it with : then the number,
    wait - how exactly are you doing that? In your Word document or in the citation style?
  • Sorry, Adam.

First. I choose the author and in the page number section I enter : then the page number, BUT when it appears in my Word document it looks like this:

(Duhaime, Chabot & Gaudreault, 2002, p.: 2)

So, in Word, I delete ', p.' leaving (Duhaime, Chabot & Gaudreault, 2002: 2)

Is it true that with 500 entries I am not hitting not my capacity?
  • right, modifying citations in Word directly is a bad idea - it'll prevent them from updating when, e.g., you change them in the Zotero data. I suspect it may also be connected to the document corruption you experienced in your other thread, though that still shouldn't happen.
    If you need a modified citation style, you really should modify the citation style:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

There's no limit on number of citations in a document, though larger documents will slow down, so for normal editing I'd recommend splitting book-length pieces up into chapters.
  • I am NOT a programer. However, I have got as far as

</macro>
    <citation et-al-min="4" et-al-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" collapse="year">
    <layout prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="author-short"/>
    <text macro="year-date"/>
    <group>
    <label variable="" suffix="" form="short" strip-periods=""/>
    <text variable="locator"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </layout>
    </citation>
    <bibliography hanging-indent="true" et-al-min="15" et-al-use-first="14">
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key variable="title"/>
    </sort>
    <layout>
    <text macro="author"/>
    <text macro="year-date" prefix=" (" suffix=")"/>
    <choose>
    <if type="thesis">
    <group prefix=" " delimiter=". " suffix=".">
    <text macro="title" font-style="italic"/>
    <text macro="edition"/>
    <text variable="genre"/>
    <text macro="online"/>
    <text macro="publisher"/>
    </group>

Which shows up as:
    Single Citations
    (Kuznetsov, 2010, : 24)

Multi Citations (all with position "first")
    (Kuznetsov, 2010, : 24)

Bibliography
    Kuznetsov, Y. (2010) Talent Abroad Promoting Growth and Institutional Development at Home: Skilled Diaspora as Part of the Country [online]. [Accessed 24 January 2014].

I have deleted p and . and added the page number. However, all that I need to do now to have what I'm looking for which is (Kuznetsov, 2010: 24) is to delete the final , and the space before the :. I just can't find how to do that from your code.

I am so proud that I've got this far as I've never played with code before.

Please confirm that anything I add in a Prefix in the citation i.e. James, R. L. (2002) in will not be lost as I did so in Zotero and not in Word.

Looking forward to hearing back.
  • <citation et-al-min="4" et-al-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" collapse="year">
    <layout prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">
    <group delimiter=": ">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="author-short"/>
    <text macro="year-date"/>
    </group>
    <text variable="locator"/>
    </group>
    </layout>
    </citation>

"Please confirm that anything I add in a Prefix in the citation i.e. James, R. L. (2002) in will not be lost as I did so in Zotero and not in Word."

correct.
  • Thank you. I really appreciate it.

However, all that I need to do now to have what I'm looking for which is (Kuznetsov, 2010: 24) is to delete the final , and the space before the :. I just can't find how to do that from your code.

However, out of that script, which is the "," (comma) and which is the " " (space)?

When I deleted the ",: it deleted the , between Kuznetsov and 2010 i.e. (Kuznetsov, 2010) not the comma after 2010. I want to get rid of the LAST comma, not the first.
  • The above should give you (Kuznetsov, 2010: 24). Does it not? Are you sure you have tested this correctly?
  • HUGE thank you, Adam. It works a treat. I had not realised you had made the change for me.

I validated it.

Now how do I get it to work? Do I need to download it onto my computer or is this change automatically incorporated into Zotero for me?

I refreshed Zotero then attempted to use it to see the change, but this is what I got

I did not include : because I thought it was supposed to be incorporated automatically.
    (Condon, Collings & Wenzel, 1995, p.888)
    (Judge & De Plaen, 2011, p.255)

Below, I typed in : then the page number
    (Duhaime, Chabot & Gaudreault, 2002, p.: 255)

What am I not doing correctly?
  • When I said it worked a treat, I meant in the Zotero reference test pane - not in my Word document.
  • Work from here downwards:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step#change_the_style_title_and_id

That includes a section on installing the style in Zotero - but start where that link starts by changing title and id.
  • Adam,

I thought I had done it, but when I tried to install it I received the following message:

"LJ citation change.csl" is not a valid style file.

What did I do wrong?
  • which software did you save it with?
  • 1. I made the changes in the code in Zotero.
    2. While still in Zotero I clicked on "Save" which asked for a name. I used "LJ citation change" and added csl at the end.
    3. Zotero asked me where to save it to. I chose the desktop.
    4. I then went to Zotero Preferences and clicked on Preferences then chose "+"
    5. I found the file "LJ citation change.csl"and then the system said it was not valid.
  • no, you can't save from Zotero directly. You need to copy this to a text editor and save it there.
  • Totally confused.

Reading this

Zotero Standalone

Save the style with a ”.csl” file extension (you can generally do this by simply typing ”.csl” after the name of your file). Then, go to the "Cite" tab in the Zotero preferences. Click on the + sign below the list of installed styles. In the file selection dialogue that opens, navigate to the .csl file you just created and open it. This will install your new style.

Working from within the Zotero Reference Pane window (where I can see code), I look at Zotero and see

Zotero File Edit Window

I click on File and Save which brings up a window from my computer that says Save As: and in the window is already "csledit.xul".

I change "csledit.xul" to "citation change.csl".
    Below, my laptop says Format: XML-Based User Interface Language

I click on Save and it saves to my Desktop.
    The screen takes me to Zotero Reference Test pane.

So, that's not correct.

Instead. I go to TextWrangler where I am given a blank page.

I cut and paste the entire code from the Zotero Reference Test page.
    I save it as Citation change.csl onto my Desktop.
    I then go into Zotero under Preferences - Styles and click the "+" and find "Citation change.csl" which I just set up.
    The system replaces the original Harvard system with the new Citation change.
    I went into a Word document and chose a reference to cite.

The change has not been incorporated as this is what I got:

(Chikezie & Daramy, 2007, p.29)
    and not ...., 2007: 29)

The instructions stop here.
    Zotero Standalone

Save the style with a ”.csl” file extension (you can generally do this by simply typing ”.csl” after the name of your file). Then, go to the "Cite" tab in the Zotero preferences. Click on the + sign below the list of installed styles. In the file selection dialogue that opens, navigate to the .csl file you just created and open it. This will install your new style.

What did I do wrong?
    Do I need to turn the system off and restart to it can take the update into consideration?
  • Sounds like you're on the right track now using TextWrangler.
    You can probably see the changes when you switch to a different style and back in Word. But: It also sounds like you didn't change the style ID, which means that your style will get overwritten on automatic updates. You should really do that as per the instructions - you'll then have separate styles fro your custom version and the Harvard West of England - Bristol style listed as options.
  • Did you FEEL my struggles and make the change for me? Because I did nothing then when I next went to a new blank document and tried to enter a new citation it worked a dream!!! I was so excited.

HUGE thank you. I was struggling as to whether I should enter

<title>Harvard Style Modified</title>
    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/harvard-modified</id>;

and change it to

<title>Harvard Style LJ Modified1 </title>
    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/harvard-LJ-modified-1</id>;

Was totally confused about whether I needed to do the http line - the last line and how to go about to do that.

Anyway, I don't need to now so A HUGE THANK YOU. I hope I will never need to play around with code again.

(Just so you know, I've convinced myself that I DO code now.... thanks to this... Hilarious really. Literally rolling on the floor laughing at myself.

Thank you for all your help and patience.

I imagine that I now have to go through all my citations in Word and delete every instance where I had entered page numbers (: page number) and deleted what the system produced only to replace it with : and the page number. Or is that no necessary?
  • I imagine that I now have to go through all my citations in Word and delete every instance where I had entered page numbers (: page number) and deleted what the system produced only to replace it with : and the page number.
    You could try what happens if you change the citation style to something entirely different - say Vancouver - and then to your new one. That _might_ work (you may get a message about keeping vs. overwriting changes. In that case you want to pick overwrite). But if it doesn't then yes, you'll have to do this one by one.
  • I get:
    You have modified this citation since Zotero generated it. Do you want to keep your modifications and prevent future updates?

Clicking "Yes" will prevent Zotero from updating this citation if you add additional citations, with styles, or modify the item to which it refers. Clicking "NO will erase your changes.

After I changed to Vancover then back to my standard style this is the message I got:

You have modified this citation since Zotero generated it. Editing will clear your modifications. Do you want to continue.
    Cancel or OK

I imagine I have to click on "edit citation".
  • You want to click OK, yes. That's great then, this should automatically do all required changes for you, no need to re-insert citations.
  • I am going through the citations, but now one citation replaces the author's name with (Anon). What's wrong. I have deleted it an re-entered it, but it Zotero always does the same thing - (Anon, 1994: 3).

I'm afraid to say that I will need help with code again, but this time in the bibliography as I need to have 3(1): 35-36 and not pp.
  • double-check the Zotero item. What creators and types are listed?
  • You're good! Thank you.

In the Bibliography, I need to delete pp. pp. (below) and replace it with :

Vidich, A.J. & Lyman, S.M. (2000) Qualitative Methods: Their History in Sociology and Anthropology. In: Handbook of Qualitative Research. 2nd edition. Thousands Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications. pp. pp. 37–84.

and pp. with : as below

Onwuegbuzie, A.J. & Leech, N.L. (2004) Enhancing the Interpretation of ‘Significant’ Findings: The Role of Mixed Methods Research [online]. The Qualitative Report. 9 (4), pp. 770–792.

So I would have
    .... The Qualitative Report. 9(4): 770-792. No space between 9 and (4)

I have found what might be the code but am stuck now. Any suggestions of where to find "pp" in the code below.

<bibliography hanging-indent="true" et-al-min="15" et-al-use-first="14">
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key variable="title"/>
    </sort>
    <layout>
    <text macro="author"/>
    <text macro="year-date" prefix=" (" suffix=")"/>
    <choose>
    <if type="thesis">
    <text macro="title" font-style="italic"/>
    <text macro="edition"/>
    <text variable="genre"/>
    <text macro="online"/>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else-if type="webpage">
    <text macro="title"/>
    <text macro="edition"/>
    </group>
    </else-if>
    <else-if type="article-journal article-newspaper broadcast personal_communication thesis webpage" match="any">
    <group suffix=".">
    <text macro="title" prefix=" "/>
    <text macro="editor" prefix=" "/>
    <text macro="online" prefix=" "/>
    </group>
    <choose>
    <if variable="author" match="any">
    <text variable="container-title" font-style="italic" prefix=" " suffix="."/>
    </if>
    </choose>
    <group prefix=" " suffix=".">
    <group>
    <text variable="volume"/>
    <text variable="issue" prefix=" (" suffix="), "/>
    <text macro="issued"/>
    </group>
    <group>
    <text macro="pages"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </else-if>
    <else-if type="book graphic" match="any">
    <text variable="note"/>
    <text macro="title"/>
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <text variable="collection-title"/>
    <text variable="collection-number"/>
    </group>
    <text macro="edition"/>
    <text macro="editor"/>
    <text macro="online"/>
    </group>
    </else-if>
    <else-if type="chapter paper-conference" match="any">
    <text macro="title" prefix=" " suffix=". "/>
    <group prefix=" " delimiter=" ">
    <text term="in" text-case="capitalize-first" suffix=":"/>
    <text macro="editor" suffix=". "/>
    <text variable="container-title" font-style="italic" suffix="."/>
    <text variable="collection-title" suffix="."/>
    <text macro="edition" prefix=" " suffix="."/>
    <text macro="online" suffix="."/>
    <text macro="issued"/>
    <text macro="publisher" suffix="."/>
    <label variable="page" form="short"/>
    <text macro="pages" suffix="."/>
    </group>
    </else-if>
    <else>
    <group suffix=".">
    <text macro="title" prefix=" "/>
    <text macro="editor" prefix=" "/>
    </group>
    <text variable="container-title" font-style="italic" prefix=" " suffix="."/>
    <text macro="online" prefix=" " suffix=". "/>
    <group prefix=" " suffix=".">
    <group prefix=" ">
    <text variable="volume"/>
    <text variable="issue" prefix=" (" suffix=")"/>
    <text macro="issued"/>
    </group>
    <group prefix=" ">
    <label variable="locator" suffix="." form="short" strip-periods="true"/>
    <text macro="pages"/>
    </group>
  • edited January 27, 2014
    delete <label variable="locator" suffix="." form="short" strip-periods="true"/>
    add a colon to the prefix right above it.
  • Thank you.
    The code now looks like
    <text macro="issued"/>
    </group>
    <group prefix=": ">
    <text macro="pages"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </else>
    </choose>
    <text prefix=" " macro="access" suffix="."/>
    </layout>
    </bibliography>
    </style>

However, in the box below nothing has changed as it still looks like this after I refreshed. I assumed the pp would disappear and be replaced by :

Bibliography
    Holden, M.T. & Lynch, P. (2004) Choosing the Appropriate Methodology: Understanding Research Philosophy. The Marketing Review. 4 (4), pp. 397–409.
  • then they're in the macro "pages"
    <macro name="pages">
    find the line containing <label variable... in that and delete it.

Then find the line you have above:
    <text variable="issue" prefix=" (" suffix="), "/>
    and remove the , " in the suffix.

Finally, add prefix=": " to the <text macro="pages"/> line a little below that.
  • I will try that.

I went to an earlier chapter and learnt that the update does not work as I still get:
    (Denzin and Lincoln, 2005, p. 222)
    and not
    (Denzin and Lincoln, 2005: 222)

I have chosen another style then changed back to Harvard. How can I check that the change I made to the style will work on this chapter also?
  • insert a new citation with your custom style selected.