[mlz] hereinafter not working

I can't get hereinafter to work. No matter what I do, the "hereinafter" page on abbreviation list pane (the one that comes up when clicking the "abbrevs" button on the classic add citation dialog) is always empty, and nothing can be entered. I've tried changing style to amlaw (was using twlaw), and it's the same.
  • This was just plain broken. I have a fix ready, and will release pretty soon. The main culprit was the Abbreviation Filter.
  • It's now fixed. Updating the Abbreviation Filter should be sufficient, but there is a fresh version of MLZ up as well.

The one small wrinkle is that the "hereinafter" value will not automatically update across citations when it is added or changed: you need to refresh the document to get all related citations to update.
  • Confirmed. Thank you! amlaw.csl got reverted back to the April version again, though.

I started noticing the issue after trying to understand MLZ's disambiguation logic. I found an old thread wherein you mentioned bluebook's requirement for the inclusion of title when more than one works from the same author are cited.

I can't find the rule, however, or did I misunderstand you? Rule 4.2(b) seems to suggest it be done only when different works by the same author are cited in the same footnote, for the normal supra form would not be able to pinpoint a specific work in this situation. The same rule also requires a hereinafter short title be established under such circumstances. (That's when I started looking at hereinafter implementation seriously.)

If my reading of the rule is correct, we probably should remove the disambiguate="true" conditions in the amlaw-title macro. How do you think?

I also wonder how we could implement rule 15.10.1 (also mentioned in 4.2(a)) about using the supra form for a previously cited collection (not article therein). For example, if
    32 Catharine A. MacKinnon, On Exceptionality: Women as Women in Law, in Feminism Unmodified 70, 70 (1987).
    has been cited previously, a different article from the same book should be cited as
    Catharine A. MacKinnon, Desire and Power, in Feminism Unmodified, supra note 32, at 46, 47.
    (Examples taken from rule 4.2(a) with font formats ignored.)

One final note: the issue I raised in this thread hasn't been fixed in amlaw yet. (I fixed it for twlaw citation, but forgot the bibliography part.)
  • edited November 2, 2013
    Confirmed. Thank you! amlaw.csl got reverted back to the April version again, though.
    The version installed by the client is up to date with the repository. If you have a local version with fixes and you file a pull request on GitHub, I can merge them.
    I started noticing the issue after trying to understand MLZ's disambiguation logic. I found an old thread wherein you mentioned bluebook's requirement for the inclusion of title when more than one works from the same author are cited.

I can't find the rule, however, or did I misunderstand you?
    I may have been looking at an earlier edition. When I started working on what is now the American Law style, it took me a couple of months to obtain a current copy of the Bluebook. It's a long story.
    If my reading of the rule is correct, we probably should remove the disambiguate="true" conditions in the amlaw-title macro. How do you think?
    It does look like those conditions can be pulled out.
    One final note: the issue I raised in this thread hasn't been fixed in amlaw yet. (I fixed it for twlaw citation, but forgot the bibliography part.)
    Thanks for the reminder. I hope to get there this weekend.
  • The version installed by the client is up to date with the repository. If you have a local version with fixes and you file a pull request on GitHub, I can merge them.
    That's not what I meant. I had a fairly recent amlaw (the one ported into twlaw) but got reverted to a version with an April timestamp. But it doesn't matter now, the included version and the one on the styles listing page are in sync again. Thanks.
  • Ah, got it. The "standard" styles are replaced when the client is updated -- official Zotero works in the same way. If you change the ID and title, it won't be overwritten.
  • Excuse me but I did not understand. What ID and what title do I have to change? The ones to enter Zotero?
    I also tried with another lap top. In that one I can add citations that were already in Zotero. The books I am adding right now do not appear in the bibliography.
  • edited November 2, 2013
    It's explained here.