error in word 2008 integration @[getDocument:application:100]

I just switched to a new computer (MacBook Air) and imported everything from my old one. I'm running Word 2008.

When I try to insert a new citation I get this error message:

Zotero experienced an error updating your document. [Exception... "'The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[getDocument:application.m:100]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getDocument]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: _callIntegration :: line 273" data: no]

I tried creating a new document and still get this error message, so it's not document-specific.
  • Go to Help->Check for Updates in Word and make sure you have the latest updates installed.
  • Okay, I did that but am getting the same error message.
  • This seems like the same issue as http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/26474/new-laptop-wont-work-with-zotero/

Unfortunately, although I've spent quite a bit of time attempting to reproduce this, I can't, even on a completely clean system. You could try installing Zotero Word for Mac Integration 3.5.5 (linked to in the thread above), although it sounds like that doesn't help. Upgrading to Word 2011 would almost certainly fix this (we've never seen reports of similar issues), but would also probably cost money.
  • Now I get the message, "Zotero fields cannot be inserted here."
  • I tried downloading the standalone version to see if that made a difference. With that I get the same error message as I did originally, even with integration 3.5.5
  • With 3.5.5, you mean? There's a thread on that issue too. It's good to know that these errors (probably) have the same underlying cause. However, since these errors originate in Word, not Zotero, and we have been unable to reproduce them despite several attempts, I don't have a solution for you.
  • You told me to try installing Zotero Word for Mac Integration 3.5.5. When I did that, the error message changed to "Zotero fields cannot be inserted here." But when I try using the standalone version I get the original error message (cited in my first post).
  • Zotero Standalone comes with its own version of the Word plugin, so you'll get the same error there as you would with 3.5.6.
  • Thanks. My IT person at work gave me Word 2011 and now the problem is gone. Oddly though Word 2008 still works fine with Zotero on my other two computers.
  • I have the exact same problem. Everything works fine on my macbook with Word 2008 but not on my iMac with the exact same software and versions of Firefox and Zotero plug-ins. Just got a new iMac and have the same problem as on my old iMac. So to me it seems like a iMac-problem...

I submitted a Debug output log to Zotero a minute ago with the ID D2134038371.

Appreciate any help you can offer...
  • I managed to reproduce this following the hint from http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/27032/report-id-360471763-word-integration-not-working-after-using-migration-assistant/#Item_5 that this is due to Migration Assistant. The problem seems to be that Migration Assistant does not transfer all of the files that Office requires from one computer to another. In particular, it doesn't transfer the Microsoft Office/Office/Type Libraries folder, which is necessary for AppleScript to work properly. If you copy this folder (or the entire Microsoft Office folder) from a computer with a working copy of Office 2008 to yours, Zotero integration should work again.