credentials not accepted

It seems that every time I try to use zotero on my multiple different computers, the only way to have my credentials accepted is to reset the password. Any clues? When this happens, I can't log in on the website OR through sync preferences. Here is the ID for the issue:
  • Are you using a character that would somehow be entered differently—mapped to different Unicode characters, say—on different systems?

The website and the sync preferences use different authentication mechanisms, so if they're not working for either it suggests that you're just entering them differently.
  • Nope--no funny characters at all; mix of upper case, lower case and numbers for the pw; my first.last@SOMETHING.com.

This happens when I work from different computers--my laptop and my desktop at home. Might have had something to do with Mozilla updates?
  • I don't know what to tell you. No one has ever reported anything like this. Somehow or another, you have to be entering your username or password differently on the different computers.
  • Have you tried emailing the password yo yourself and then copy-pasting it so that you can rule out any typing error?
  • edited October 31, 2012
    E-mailing a password isn't really a great thing to do—though it's OK for a temporary password, as a test—but you could, say, put it in a text file in Dropbox (which is transferred encrypted, albeit accessible to Dropbox themselves) or a similar service.
  • Dan: I was able to use the password reset on my home machine. The home machine, however, said it had been 37 days since I had synced with the server--yet I had used zotero quite regularly. When I did sync, i was presented with first, 105 and then 150 or so citations that needed to be reconciled between two different computers. Is it possible that I have two different profiles or accounts in the system? A few weeks back, I had problems and discovered (or thought I did) that my account was connected with an old email address (at altarum.org) and had your people change it to yahoo. I'm wondering whether that's where the problem started?
  • I can't tell you what happened, but it just sounds like you hadn't synced in a while, likely because of the permissions problem. Note that if auto-sync is enabled there'll always be an error icon next to the sync icon if syncing fails for some reason.

In any case, are you still having trouble?