Errors transfering files to standalone

• Great. Out of curiosity, what software was it that was interfering?
  • Symantec endpoint protection
  • Thanks. I'll add a note to the incompatible software list.
  • Here's the update: I let the sync run over night and by this morning it was at 40% but it seemed stuck there. By stuck I mean over the course of an hour the download ticker had not budged. So I stopped the sync and restarted it. When I restarted it I immediately received an error message stating that there was not enough space on the flash drive. I remembered that the flash drive still had the old folder with my library (from trying to transfer libraries) and so I removed that folder and tried to sync again. Eventually I got the same error as before regarding the "Read-only box" so I unchecked it, restarted the computer and tried again. No dice, same message.

It seems like I am running in circles here and I'm not sure what to do. It would be so wonderful to get this figured out...any thoughts?
  • edited February 26, 2012
    Is the security software still disabled? There's absolutely nothing Zotero can do about not being able to access the disk. If something on your system is interfering, you'll need to fix that. But clearly you had this working before.
  • Odd, it looks like part of the security software was reactivated when I restarted the laptop. I disabled it and am now waiting to see what happens with the sync. I'll let you know.
  • Nope, security system is disabled and still getting the same message. Is there anything else that could be going on that I can check?
    Provide another Report ID and I can confirm that it's actually the same problem, but I'm afraid I can't really help you beyond that.
  • Though, wait—you're syncing to a flash drive? I would recommend moving the data directory to the local hard drive. The flash drive could easily be causing trouble. (Disable auto-sync temporarily while you're moving it to avoid accidental resyncs.)
  • Here's the id:
  • Hmm, okay, well the whole purpose was to set up the Standalone on the flash drive so that my colleague could use it on different computers. If it is the flashdrive...should we try a different brand or type of flashdrive?
  • I'm not saying that's the problem. It's just a debugging step.
  • Okay, I'll move the data directory to the local hard drive and then attempt to sync. If this goes through will I then be able to move everything to the flash drive?
  • Also, do I just indicate the "Use profile directory" for the location or should I actually move the data directory from the flash drive to the hard drive?
  • Sorry, I still don't understand. Should I move the folder from the flash drive on to the hard drive and then direct Zotero to the new location?
  • Well, I just checked out her harddrive and it's pretty tiny and she only has 10 GB of free space; according to my desktop our Zotero folder is 26 GB. Would it be possible for me to log into her zotero account on my desktop, do the sync and then move that folder onto the flash drive? Would it matter that I use a mac and she uses a pc?
  • Just to reiterate: the main problem that we are trying to fix is our inability to get all of our files indexed. There are 5 of us using the group library but the library only shows up as (nearly) fully indexed for two of us and that is only due to going through and manually indexing items. It was to avoid this that I wanted to give my colleague my library.

My question is, shouldn't every account mirror the others regarding indexed items (that is if properly synced)? Whenever I add an indexed item to the group library should it show up as indexed when others sync with the group?
  • No - the index is local and refers to locally available files (which makes sense - it would be rather upsetting to "find" a pdf in a search, only to then find out that it's not actually on your harddisk. There may also be logistical reasons - Dan would have to say).

The way to fix your issue is first to make sure that all files are synced to all accounts and then see if there are remaining indexing problems. If your co-worker only has 10GB of space on his/her HD, but you have 26GB of group library files, obviously file syncing onto her HD won't work.

It's generally possible to have the Zotero folder on a flash drive so s/he could do that, but especially if you're under Windows that makes running into permission issues more likely. I'm also not sure if you can assure that a flashdrive is always assigned the same path on Windows - it's just not a very helpful OS for those types of things. If s/he is ever going to remove the drive that will obviously be an issue.
  • Thanks adamsmith, that make sense. So, does zotero not automatically index new items it downloads from the group library? Do we simply have to periodically run the "index all unindexed items" script?

I will check with my colleagues re whether all files are synced on their computers, though I think they are and that they are still having indexing problems.
    So, does zotero not automatically index new items it downloads from the group library? Do we simply have to periodically run the "index all unindexed items" script?
    that's correct, Zotero doesn't index synced files - as I understand Dan above, that's a known limitation and not a feature with a purpose though, so there's a good chance that it will be addressed in the future. It certainly strikes me that Zotero _should_ do this automatically.
  • So, considering the limitations with my colleagues laptop, would it make sense to focus on getting her account fully synced on her desktop. After doing so, would it be possible to move her library onto the flash drive so that she can use it with standalone on her laptop?
  • that _should_ work, but as I say, treating a flash drive like an additional harddrive isn't something I would vouch for on a Windows system. The limitation would be Windows, though, not Zotero.
  • Hi guys, not sure if I should start a new forum for this. But I had my colleague get a debug ID for her indexing issue. We can see that one of the issues is that firefox won't let zotero index a pdf that has diacriticals in its title. But there are still some other issues about which we are not clear. Even with her character limit set at 5 million and page limit at 900, she still gets way too many partially indexed and unindexed items.

Here is her debug ID: ID: D1915301680

Thanks for your help!
  • Diacritics shouldn't actually be an issue any longer, but some PDFs can't be indexed for other reasons (e.g., they don't allow it), and Zotero stills displays that warning if the filename happens to contain diacritics.

There would only be an issue if a file wasn't indexed by the rebuild but then was indexable manually, and then we'd need an example.
  • Well, I'm relatively positive that it is the case that files that were not indexed by the rebuild were then indexed manually. I say this because my index numbers, after going through and indexing a slew of the items is so much higher than hers (I'll ask her for her exact numbers though, for comparison).

So does her debug ID not contain clues as to why items are not being indexed?
  • I don't really care about the numbers. All that matters is an example, if there is one, of a file in her library that isn't indexed after the rebuild that becomes indexed manually.
  • It appears that the issue with diacriticals is still around (see my colleague's response below). Also, should the rebuild fix partially indexed items as well? Would an example of an item that remains partially indexed after a rebuild but then is indexable manually pertinent here?

"I tried the top item in the error list: Ehlers_Kölliker_ZfwZ_1906.pdf (origianlly with the o-umlaut in Koelliker, which for some reason will not copy here). It would not index manually. Then I substituted oe and I was able to index it. So actually, that is still a problem, at least on a Windows computer. I did the same thing for the next item, Stoehr_Koelliker . . .. Before I changed the o-umlaut, it would not even allow me to read the item when I double-clicked on it. But after I substituted the oe for the o-umlaut in Stoehr, I was able to open it and read it."
  • If that file won't open, then that's the problem, not indexing, and you'd need to provide more details on the file-opening problem.

If a file that's openable in Zotero doesn't index with extended characters but then indexes with them removed, we'd want a Debug ID for that, but it's not clear from your description above that that's the case. Files with extended characters index fine for me on Windows XP.

Also, this was fixed in Firefox 4, so if they're using Firefox 3.6 then extended-character filenames wouldn't work.
    Also, should the rebuild fix partially indexed items as well?
    No, it doesn't currently. Manual indexing should index in full.
  • Okay, I'll check into her version of Firefox and the other issue you raised. As for the partially indexed items; is there any way to locate them so that they can be manually indexed? She has 160 such items in the group library that need to be fixed.