unable to upload database to Zotero Database Repair Tool

I've tried several times in the last couple of weeks to upload a 47M zipped zotero.sqlite file to the online database repair tool but without success, the "The connection was reset" page keeps coming up.

Is there any other way to upload this file?

Many thanks,
  • Try in a different browser or, if this is a laptop, from a different network.
  • Thanks for the response, I was using firefox 9.0.1, and now have tried IE 8, it lasted longer but still got the 500 Internal Server Error in the end. I'm not able to use a different network at the moment.
  • You can try the manual instructions (or get a techy person to help you with them, though they're harder on Windows). Does your database fail the integrity check in the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences?
  • Yes, the database fails this check. I was hoping to be able to do it the easier way, but will have a look at the manual instructions for windows
  • OK, I just followed the instructions here,

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2607/

Everything seemed to work ok, and I got a new database file "zotero.repaired.sqlite" as in the instructions in the folder I was working in, about 2MB smaller than the original db file.

However, when I replaced zotero.sqlite with new version, and then opened firefox and zotero I still got a data base error on checking.

A couple of questions, the instructions state to use zotero.sqlite.bak, does it make a difference whether one uses the backup or the zotero.sqlite file to dump? Then, do you need to replace just the zotero.sqlite file or the sqlite.bak as well in the zotero library? I only replaced the first.

cheers
  • I just ran the additional sql commands for all platforms at the end of the instructions here

https://www.zotero.org/utils/dbfix/manual

and rechecked the integrity and there are now no errors!

I'd just like to check, before adding to my library that I'm ok just replacing the zotero.sqlite file and the rest of the .baks etc will take care of themselves.

THe library looks fine.

thanks.
  • yes, .baks are automatic back-ups that Zotero makes (and overwrites) periodically, so if this works for you now you're good.