[MLZ] Translators not working

I am having problems with the translators on the MLZ platform of zotero. Every page I go to has a zotero icon (regardless of whether there is information to download) but nothing will download.

When I hover over the icon on any page it says Save to Zotero (Institute of Physics). When i click the icon it brings up an error message. If I refresh the translators, it will display the correct translator and go back to normal, until I move to a new website where the same problem will start again. If I delete the Institute of Physics translator, it does the same with a different translator.

I am running the latest MLZ client on a mac with the latest version of firefox. I have the same problem on both of my computers which have two separate zotero libraries. Does anyone know why this might be happening?
  • There were recently major changes made to translator propagation to MLZ. Sounds like something went wrong with it-- hold on and Frank will take a look.
  • Thanks for reporting this, Julia. There was no problem in my main library, but I've been able to reproduce the fault on a fresh install of MLZ. I'll investigate, and should have a fix up soon.

Frank
  • edited November 22, 2011
    Found the anomaly. Translators are stored in two locations: as files in the "translators" folder of the Zotero data directory, and a database entries in the Zotero SQL database. Some database entries are being cached with a null value for the "target" pattern (the pattern that matches a site URL), and those translators are matching against everything under the Sun.

Next step will be to identify the problem in the code, and then set up to propagate correct data. Coming up soon ...

(Edit: They are getting a null target both in the DB and in the filesystem copy, which points to a simple problem with bad data from the update channel.)
  • Should be fixed now. No need to update the client or reinstall, just clicking the Update for translators should bring things right.
  • Thanks very much Frank