Print groups of resources

First, thanks for Zotero. It's awesome and I am enthused at the energy around making it better. Second, I'm a little overwhelmed in reading the documentation and forums and risk my suggestion already being added or *worse* already being functional and me just not knowing how to operate.

I'm using Zotero as a library application, not just a collection of research sources. I have imported a list of almost 1000 items for benchmark testing and that's about 1/3 of my library. I need a better way of organizing and printing groups of resources.

1. I shelve my resources by author and I want to print a list of all my "A's" to organize and sort the shelf. Can I just print the "A" or "B" authors/creators (I still can't figure out the difference between Authors and Creators).

2. I want to be able to search my library for subject content. What books do I have on church history or what books talk about Philippians. Is it best to put subject information as a tag or in the abstract?
  • I don't quite understand the first question. You can sort by the creator column and then just select the ones starting with A - but I figure that's not what you're after?
    (Creators include composers, directors, artists, etc - i.e. other categories that Zotero considers as primary authors of an item (like a painting, song, movie) - if you only have normal print sources the difference doesn't matter.

2. Definitely tags. Easier to assign and more powerful to manage.
  • Actually, my #1 question really was that easy and didn't think that Zotero would be smart enough to print only highlighted resources. That's exactly what I did. I sorted by creator, highlighted my "A's", and printed the report. Would be nice if I could control the print format (grid/spreadsheet style rather than card style).