MLA style error: suppress author leaves leading comma

I love Zotero. The cool plugin has me using Word again--which I'd left for Mellel/bookends--but I love the way Zotero does MLA. So simple.

But... when you suppress an author it leaves the comma in place. And if you edit it by hand, it's all undone by a refresh... Can anything be done?
  • Can you provide an example? Thanks.
  • Sure thing. I realize this was a little unclear.

The normal MLA citation goes something like: "Blah blah blah" (Derrida 23).

If you happen to have mentioned Derrida, the author, in the sentence then the "suppress author" option comes in very handy. According to MLA it would be: As Derrida writes, "blah blah blah" (23).

So far so good. Zotero is fantastic with this. However, if you have more than one book by Derrida, you should put the title in the parenthetical citation: "Blah blah blah" (Derrida, _Archive Fever_ 23).

Now, if you mention the author name in the sentence it should be: As Derrida writes, "blah blah blah" (_Archive Fever_ 23). But with the "suppress author" it maintains the comma used in the citation as it should appear with the author, thus: As Derrida writes, "blah blah blah" ( . _Archive Fever_ 23).

One more thing: ideally, in MLA, there could be something like a "suppress title" or something, because there are cases in which you might write: As Derrida writes in _Archive Fever_ "blah blah blah" (23).

Anything else, let me know. I'd love to help. I think scholars have been waiting a long time for something this rad.
  • Created a ticket, thanks.
  • This is now fixed. Your installed MLA style should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Now on the General pane of the Zotero prefs.