Report ID 1324158656

I was doing a "Restore to Zotero Server", and received "Empty response from server. Please try again in a few minutes" error message. This was after running (syncing) for about 20 hours. Do I need to retry the Restore again, or just do a normal sync?
  • Oh and what I would really like is to just empty the online group library and start over, if thats possible. I made a mess out of it, and have a pristine copy on my computer now, that I would like to upload.
  • Restore to Zotero Server doesn't clear group data.

Just restart Firefox completely and try syncing again. If you continue to get errors, let us know.
  • OK - so I've restarted FF, deleted every item in my Group Library (and My Library also, if that matters), and tried to sync, the sync icon has been spinning for I'm guessing 15-20 hours. Online still shows all items are there.
    Can you tell if anything is happening?
  • I haven't tried sync today, but I hear that Amazon Web Services (the "cloud" where zotero.org and the rest of the Zotero online presence resides) was down for over 24 hours. If if works now, that would be the reason.
  • We weren't affected by the Amazon outage.

Dale: Restart Firefox and try again, and post here when you do.
  • OK - just started the sync
  • OK - Now I got an error that I need to update Firefox to 4.0 - so I'll do that now.
  • OK - now attempting sync in FF 4.0.
  • edited April 22, 2011
    Now I'm getting dialog box popping up, seemingly on every file.
    Correction: every TAG - wow this will take a while
    ---------------
    A tag has changed both locally and remotely since the last sync.

Local version: [deleted]
    Remote version: Chorea <---- this changes with each dialog popup

The remote version has been kept.
    -----------------

I'm guessing this is not what I want - since I'm trying to delete everything in the group library.
  • This is painful - I'm going to have to click this dialog - 8000 times.
  • The dialogs have stopped - sync icon is spinning.
  • This is because you used the reset options and also made many local changes.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish, but if all you want to do is delete the group library and have no modified local data in any library, you can do Restore from Zotero Server, delete the group items in the restored local database, and then sync those deletions to the server.

If you do have modified local data, you could create a new Firefox profile directory (or use a different computer), sync into that, and make the group deletions there.
  • Yes - I'm just trying to start over, completely, but have to keep the group, so I can't delete it. I guess I'm not sure how I'm not doing what you just stated. I deleted everything in the local group library and tried to sync, that's when the problems grew. So I guess there was stuff in the online library that wasn't synced to my local when I then deleted the local stuff.

I'll try what you suggested next.
  • It's not working - tried "Restore from Zotero Server" twice in Windows - FF just crashed, with generic "Sorry FF crashed" error. Then tried in Linux and received:

An error occurred while restoring from the server:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT) [mozIStorageStatement.execute]" nsresult: "0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/tag.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 423" data: no] [ERROR: columns itemID, tagID are not unique]

???
  • How much memory do you have on the Windows computer? We can't do much about a Firefox crash—this is Firefox 4?—but given the size of your group library you may need a decent amount of memory for the sync to go through.

On Linux, that's after doing a Restore from Zotero Server and restarting Firefox?
  • 4GB - I was watching in Process Explorer (Sysinternals) FF was using just over 1GB of memory. It is a fairly new machine, i7-860. It better work with 4 GB.

Yes all with FF 4.0, both machines. And restarting FF, and rebooting the Windows machine.

Any chance you have a way of just deleting everything in the library.
    Or do I have to delete it and then reinvite everyone to a new one.
    Or will that lead to further issues.

What is the size of the group library, when its correct it should have 7800 articles in it, and probably 5x that many tags, if that matters. This was an import from RefMan8 .RIS format.
    Would it help to remove tags or something else?
    I didn't think this was that big, given what I've seen in some of the other forums. >30000.
  • It's a 13,000-item library including child items. That's large, but a sync should still certainly go through. Again, though, we can't really do much about a Firefox crash. If this is a real crash—as in, Firefox is actually quitting, rather than just freezing (in which case you could just need to give it time to finish)—then restart Firefox, go to about:crashes, generate a report for one of the relevant crashes, and post the Mozilla URL here.
  • Latest crash:
    https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/e64c663b-0470-4c75-819d-ab9112110422

This time I got a dialog box, when the browser vanished - here are the contents:

AdapterDeviceID: 95cf
    AdapterVendorID: 1002
    Add-ons: zotero@chnm.gmu.edu:2.1.5,zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org:3.1,wrc@avast.com:20110101,{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:4.0
    AvailableVirtualMemory: 156540928
    BuildID: 20110318052756
    CrashTime: 1303499249
    EMCheckCompatibility: true
    FramePoisonBase: 00000000f0de0000
    FramePoisonSize: 65536
    InstallTime: 1303482288
    Notes: AdapterVendorID: 1002, AdapterDeviceID: 95cf, AdapterDriverVersion: 8.56.1.16
    D3D10 Layers? D3D10 Layers-
    D3D9 Layers? D3D9 Layers-

ProductName: Firefox
    ReleaseChannel: release
    SecondsSinceLastCrash: 14129
    StartupTime: 1303499001
    SystemMemoryUsePercentage: 79
    Theme: classic/1.0
    Throttleable: 1
    TotalVirtualMemory: 2147352576
    URL: jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/omni.jar!/chrome/browser/content/browser/aboutHome.xhtml
    Vendor: Mozilla
    Version: 4.0
    Winsock_LSP: MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] : 2 : 1 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
    MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] : 2 : 2 :
    MSAFD Tcpip [RAW/IP] : 2 : 3 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
    MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IPv6] : 2 : 1 :
    MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IPv6] : 2 : 2 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
    MSAFD Tcpip [RAW/IPv6] : 2 : 3 :
    RSVP TCPv6 Service Provider : 2 : 1 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
    RSVP TCP Service Provider : 2 : 1 :
    RSVP UDPv6 Service Provider : 2 : 2 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
    RSVP UDP Service Provider : 2 : 2 :
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3AE40128-7C71-4B69-8C66-E3B8E58B0D4B}] SEQPACKET 1 : 2 : 5 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3AE40128-7C71-4B69-8C66-E3B8E58B0D4B}] DATAGRAM 1 : 2 : 2 :
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip6_{F6FD5DE0-7BB7-4499-B72D-6CC832C47583}] SEQPACKET 15 : 2 : 5 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip6_{F6FD5DE0-7BB7-4499-B72D-6CC832C47583}] DATAGRAM 15 : 2 : 2 :
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip6_{36C636BC-3962-4C64-8628-710409E6A56E}] SEQPACKET 14 : 2 : 5 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip6_{36C636BC-3962-4C64-8628-710409E6A56E}] DATAGRAM 14 : 2 : 2 :
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip6_{3756139C-C04C-49FE-8E64-A080A1AEA0FC}] SEQPACKET 0 : 2 : 5 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip6_{3756139C-C04C-49FE-8E64-A080A1AEA0FC}] DATAGRAM 0 : 2 : 2 :
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip6_{88DD2BEC-9EA0-48C4-9D29-DDDF4DC642EC}] SEQPACKET 4 : 2 : 5 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip6_{88DD2BEC-9EA0-48C4-9D29-DDDF4DC642EC}] DATAGRAM 4 : 2 : 2 :
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip6_{3AE40128-7C71-4B69-8C66-E3B8E58B0D4B}] SEQPACKET 2 : 2 : 5 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip6_{3AE40128-7C71-4B69-8C66-E3B8E58B0D4B}] DATAGRAM 2 : 2 : 2 :

This report also contains technical information about
  • I tried it again watching memory usage much closer - it jumped up to 1.8GB for about 2 minutes before it crashed. Isn't that a bit excessive. BTW, this only happens when using sync function. Normally FF usage is at "normal sizes", right now 88MB.

What should I do, is this group just screwed up, should I delete it?
  • Not much helpful in there, I'm afraid, though you might want to try disabling Avast temporarily. I'd also try restarting your computer and retrying immediately, if you haven't yet.

On Linux, are you running Zotero 2.1.5?
  • On Linux 2.1.6.
  • There's nothing "screwed up" about the group—the size of the download is just causing Firefox to crash for you—but deleting it is certainly an option.

Down the line, we can look into reducing the memory footprint of large syncs, but I don't believe anyone else has reported this problem in Firefox 4, so it may be something particular about the distribution of data in your library (or an issue in your Windows installation).

I would ignore Windows for the moment and focus on Linux—which isn't crashing—or, if you have access to a Mac, OS X. Are you getting that constraint error each time? Restart Firefox, disable auto-sync in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences (via Tools->Add-ons->Extensions->Zotero), open Zotero and make sure you have a completely empty database (with just the Quick Start Guide), and then try to sync.
  • edited April 22, 2011
    Before I saw your last message, I had the Windows version running again, it did nothing for about an hour, spinning, but no memory usage at all. So I just killed it, which then generated a dialog box about "empty response from server", or something similar.

Right now I'm attempting with Linux again, it is spinning.
    1. I didn't look for the CONSTRAINT error, so i will if it crashes again.
    2. My auto-sync is already turned off. I'm a control freak when comes to my computers.
    3. My Local database is completely empty - not even the Quick Start Guide.
    4. The current memory usage is about 4-5% of 4GB on the Linux machine.

How can I know if anything is happening, or it's just spinning?

Have to leave work now, so I'll pick this up on Monday.
  • On Ubuntu 10.04, FF 4.0, Zotero 2.1.6
    Yes - getting the constraint error, what does that mean?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    An error occurred while restoring from the server:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT) [mozIStorageStatement.execute]" nsresult: "0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/tag.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 423" data: no] [ERROR: columns itemID, tagID are not unique]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to attempt un/reinstalling Zotero, and then a second FF profile, to see if either works.
  • Can you run Firefox with the console enabled, reproduce the error, search for the constraint error, copy the couple hundred lines leading up to it, and e-mail those to support@zot....org? (It will likely generate too much debug output for you to just send the whole log, though you could try saving it all as a text file and zipping it. If it's less than 10MB or so, send it along.)
  • Should I kill the current sync attempt, with the new profile and fresh zotero install. Its been spinning for over an hour now, maybe longer I can't remember exact time.
  • If you're doing a Restore from Zotero Server in your main profile, there's no reason a sync in an empty profile would be any different, and reinstalling Zotero almost never makes any difference.

And yes, at this point you should run with console output enabled so you can see when it's actually doing something. For what it's worth, it's not server activity that you're waiting for.
  • edited April 25, 2011
    OK - just sent it, almost 9 millions lines. tar'd zipped = 13MB - hope it gets through email systems.
    BTW - error was at line 8751776
  • Zotero bounced it, too big.
  • tried higher compression bzipped to 7.9 M - bounced also by zotero.
    How can I get this to you?