Zotero can't find attached files

I have recently changed computers. In the process of moving everything over I seem to have broken all of the links to files attached to my references in Zotero. So when I click on a link to a snapshot or an attached PDF or image file I get the error message 'File not found. The attached file could not be found. It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero'. When I look for it in finder it comes up, and the data directory in preferences is correct. I am using Zotero 2.0.9 and Mac OS 10.6.6. Is there a way to get Zotero to find all of the attachments and re-attach them? Thanks for any help anyone can give.
  • no there isn't. How did you move the files? Where exactly do you find the copies now? Are those links ore files stored in Zotero?
  • edited February 23, 2011
    The files on the old computer were in a sub-folder of my dropbox folder, so that they were automatically backed up. The files were copied to the new computer through the automatic sync with dropbox. They are in zotero created subfolders. I have told zotero to use that folder which is /Users/MITH/Dropbox/My Research/zotero/storage/ as the data directory. Links work fine. It is just files stored in zotero, including pdfs, jpegs etc as snapshots created by Zotero. If necessary I can redo the process from scratch but I need to know how to make sure that Zotero knows where to find the attached files. It will be days of work to find and reattach them all manually.

Thanks for your help.
  • do you still have the old computer/harddisk.
    The best way to move a library is to simply copy the entire Zotero folder, storage included.
    I still don't actually understand your set-up, but anytime I see the word dropbox in conjunction with Zotero I suspect that's where the problem is...
    I need to know how to make sure that Zotero knows where to find the attached files.
    not sure I understand the question, but again, there is not way to tell Zotero globally where to search for attached files.
  • Thanks for your help. I do still have the old computer, so it's no problem to start over. I've never had a problem with storing my Zotero data and attached files in the Dropbox folder before.

Here's an example: In my library I have a reference to the DNB article on Ford Grey. If I click on the snapshot link or the View Snapshot button I get the error message. If I search for it using Finder it is in this folder:

/Users/MITH/Dropbox/My Research/zotero/storage/A6MK67FT
  • The data directory should be set to "/Users/MITH/Dropbox/My Research/zotero", not "/Users/MITH/Dropbox/My Research/zotero/storage".

But note that putting the entire data directory in a Dropbox-synced location is dangerous if you will be accessing the data directory from multiple computers, synced via Dropbox; it will cause horrible data corruption if Firefox is not completely closed and Dropbox completely synced on one computer before opening Firefox on another of the synced computers.

If possible, you should put only the "storage" directory, within the Zotero data directory, under Dropbox control. Syncing it should cause no problems.
  • Thanks Avram, that did the trick, and thank for the advice about avoiding the problems with multiple computers. It's rare that I do use multiple computers, but it sounds like the kind of problem you want to avoid at all costs. Unless it's possible to separate the file storage from the data storage I don't see how I'd do that with Dropbox, as you have to put the entire folder into the Dropbox folder. I guess I'll just have to be careful or find another solution for backing up my attachments.
  • Since you're on a Mac, you could put the "storage" directory in Dropbox, and put a symlink to it in your Zotero data directory. See http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=5510 for discussion of how to use symlinks to make Dropbox more flexible on a Mac.
  • ah a second pair of eyes - I overlooked a key part in your post, thank Avram for catching that, sorry if I contributed to confusion. And let me 2nd his dropbox warning - it really is a bad idea for the entire data directory - the symlink solution is fine, though.
  • edited February 23, 2011
    Avram and adamsmith you both rock! You solved my immediate problem and saved me from even bigger ones in the future. Many thanks. Incidentally the installation of the Automator workflow discussed in the Dropbox doesn't work on Snow Leopard. I found this solution www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10433/symboliclinker for adding 'Make Symbolic Link' to the context menu.