CSE style (number citations)

I created an CSE style CSL. Anyone who wants to test this can follow these steps:

1) Go to the ticket https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/632 (its stashed under a Harvard trac report currently)

2) Click on the attachment labelled cse-raw.csl . Scroll to the bottom of the attachment page and click "Original Format" under "Download in other formats".

3) Open the downloaded CSL file in a text editor (e.g. drag into Notepad or TextEdit) and copy the contents to the clipboard.

4) In a Zotero-enabled Firefox, load chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul. Open the Zotero pane and select some items. Paste the CSL contents into the large text area, and you should see a preview of the items in the APSA style.

Not all the weirder items are catered for currently.
  • This styles is now maintained at the following page
    http://www.zotero.org/styles
    along with others - and can be directly loaded into Zotero 1.0.2 when it is released.
    Great news! (although possibly not for the bug reports I'll get!).
  • edited September 27, 2009
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am having problems with this CSL format.

When I right click a journal article resource, hit generate bibliography and copy it to the clipboard in CSE format, the format is wrong. The date is appearing after the name of the journal and not after the authors.

Also, it is putting in the whole date and not just the year.

Update: Just to confirm it is also doing it in the bibliography when I use word processor integration.

I am using Zotero 2.0b7.2, word plugin 3.0a2
  • I can probably fix this, but it would be great if you could give me
    a) a link to a style guide and
    b) a "should be" vs "is" list of differences.
  • Just for info:
    The style guide is a big thick expensive book...
    There are some free online 'interpretations' of the style, but they aren't 'official'.
  • There is a searchable preview on amazon.
    On page 634, it says journal articles should look like:

Authors. Article title. Journal title year month;volume(issue):inclusive pages.

So: the style is correct & cypher3c is mistaken.

Note that CSE has a second author-date format, which is formatted:
    Authors. Year. Article title. Journal title volume(issue):pages.
    This is presumably what cypher32 wants, but the numbered style should be forked if the author-date style does not yet exist (the proposed changes would break the numeric style).
  • For cypher32 that means: please create a separate style request, closely following the guidelines for style requests here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/requesting_styles
  • Note also that page 635 shows the author-date CSE style that has cypher32's proposed placement of the date, but it is the full date ("1992 Nov 13"). Omitting the month/day is said to be "optional" if the journals are continuously paginated. Because of this being only an option, I'd say the CSL should keep it in & people could trim their dates in the Zotero database if they desire to exercise that option.