Zotero MacWord Integration3.04b could not complete installation after update

Today Firefox told me that I could install an update of the Word Integration, which I did. After the update, however, the error message "Zotero Word Integration could not complete installation because an error occurred" is shown. I tried to reinstall word component through its preference but the error message showed. Every time when I restart Firefox the same message showed.

The Word Integration works fine before today's update. Now the Zotero script in Mac Word 2008 has only one function left: adding bibliography.

I tried to install the Zotero build PythonExt but the problem persists. Also tried restart the relevant programs or restart the computer. Tried unintalled the add-on and reinstalled it. Tried update the Firefox from 3.6.3 to 3.6.12.

Thank you so much for your help. If the solution takes some time, could you tell me how I can get the older version of the MacWord Integration prior to today's update reinstalled because that version works fine?

The Report ID: 1085495676.

Mac OS 10.6
Firefox 3.6.3 and later 3.6.12
Mac Word 2008
Zotero v.2.0.9

Thanks!
Tf Chen
  • Same here:
    Zotero MacWord Integration3.0b4
    FF 3.6.12

Gruesse, Pablo
  • I also had the same problem, including the menu item being present but only having one command - "add bibliography". Up until this, everything was working fine in both Word 2008 and Word 2011.

Report IDs: 1053549744,1478343860,1061011477,502500986 (after restart), 1009607163 (after upgrading Adobe Unit Types.osax to 2.1.0, but before adjusting ownership, permissions).

Mac OSX 10.6.4
    Firefox 3.6.12
    Mac Word 2008, 2011 (both installed at the moment)
    Adobe CS4, latest version of all programs, including latest version of Acrobat Pro, 9.4.0.
    Zotero v.2.0.9

In looking at the error, I searched on "dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found" and found the following:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/516/cpsid_51615.html

The problem is related to the version of AppleScript extensions for scripting in Adobe products that ships with CS3 and CS4. The instructions for downloading and installing the latest version of the extension are the start to fixing it, but, in addition, you need to make sure that you get the permissions and ownership set up right on the newly downloaded osax extension (it is actually a directory full of other stuff, and so you need to use -R in commands so changes propagate down through the files in the directory, don't just change the top-level directory and leave child files and folders un-altered).

Here is how I fixed it:

# Follow instructions for getting and installing Adobe Unit Types.osax (2.1.0)
    # from http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/516/cpsid_51615.html Make sure you move the
    # old .osax directory somewhere outside the /Library/ScriptingExtensions so
    # you have it for reference should you need to do further troubleshooting on
    # permissions, ownership, etc.

# At any point, if you navigate to /Library/ScriptingAdditions in finder, you can
    # check the current version of "Adobe Unit Types.osax" by right-clicking and
    # clicking "Get Info".

# once you have installed, go to the ScriptingAdditions directory.
    cd /Library/ScriptingAdditions

# if downloaded, make sure the quarantine extended attribute is not set
    ls -al

# look for "@" after permissions. If present, do this to see what attribute is set
    ls -al@e

# if attribute com.apple.quarantine is part of output, run the following to remove it.
    sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine ./Adobe\ Unit\ Types.osax/

# make sure the directory and all children are owned by your user (jonathanmorgan,
    # in my case) and permissons are 775 throughout (I verified this how it was
    # installed before by descending into the backed-up old version of the plugin).
    sudo chown -R jonathanmorgan Adobe\ Unit\ Types.osax/
    sudo chmod -R 775 Adobe\ Unit\ Types.osax/

After doing all this, restart your computer, then open Firefox. It just installed fine for me, and now all the options are back in Word 2008 and 2011 where they should be.

Also, if you (current reader) get here sometime later, below are the error messages you get when you have the 2.0.0 version of the ScriptingAdditions installed, and at least how you should be able to tell if you've installed the new ScriptingAdditions, but not adjusted the permissions.

Thanks,

Jonathan Morgan

====================================================
    Error messages before updating to 2.1.0:

ERROR:xpcom:Unhandled exception calling 'int8 run();'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Users/jonathanmorgan/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/1jojisc0.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/server/policy.py", line 277, in _CallMethod_
    return 0, func(*params)
    File "/Users/jonathanmorgan/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/1jojisc0.default/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/install.py", line 115, in run
    raise Exception(error)
    Exception: 2010-10-30 11:34:45.574 osacompile[460:903] Error loading /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types: dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
    /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
    osacompile: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax" declares no loadable handlers.

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIRunnable.run]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero-macword-integration/content/browser-overlay.js :: ZoteroMacWordIntegration_firstRun :: line 84" data: no]"]

Error messages after updating to 2.1.0, but with messed up ownership, permissions:

I accidentally fixed it before I captured the exact error messages, but, if you install the updated version of the ScriptingAdditions and don't adjust the permissons, you will see similar error messages, but in addition you'll see (from commenter James Hastings-Trew on http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/09/applescript_compatibility_with_photoshop_o.html):

"Cannot find executable for CFBundle 0xxxxxxx (not loaded)" and then a second error saying it “declares no loadable handlers."

This is an indication that the new osax plugin is there, but the permissions or ownership are not right, and so AppleScript can't get at the contents of the directory. Adjusting the extended attributes, ownership, and permissions as outlined above solved this for me.