Syncing errors (Java, addons, RFC 5746)

Hi,

I've tried syncing for a few hours, but I just can't. I have different errors listed in the report :
- some Javascript errors (I'm using the last version, I checked on the java website)
- a few "server does not support RFC 5746" warnings
- one or two add-on related errors
I've sent a first error report (168233794), then tried to reboot but the same problem occured (1221021754), and last disabled the FF addons (1463976397).
I use Win XP, FF 3.6.8 and Zotero 2.0.3.
Any help or idea ?
Thanks !
  • edited August 24, 2010
    Post a Debug ID for a sync attempt that generates this error.
  • Here it is : D2041767231
  • Try clearing your Firefox cache.
  • I did, but no better...
  • Provide another Debug ID for a sync attempt after restarting your computer.
  • Sorry for the delay... here is the new Dubug ID : D1400824451
  • This is either an issue with your Firefox installation or a problem with your network, security software, proxy, etc. Disable any security software you have installed. If this is a laptop, try from a different network. You can also try in a new Firefox profile.
  • I checked with our IT team, and indeed the zotero server was blacklisted (by mistake). They corrected it and it works well now. Thanks for your help !
  • edited October 31, 2014
    Would the same issue likely apply to Chrome? I'm using the standalone for Chrome. I keep getting an error message when I sync that says various things, but usually something like this:

1414777655325 addons.update-checker WARN HTTP Request failed for an unknown reason
    [JavaScript Error: "www.zotero.org:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
    "]
    1414777655367 addons.update-checker WARN HTTP Request failed for an unknown reason
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: this._dataItems[row] is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/collectionTreeView.js" line: 509}]
    [JavaScript Error: "www.zotero.org:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
    "]
    [JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Username not set"]

Note that I have tried to have it send this report to Zotero directly, but when I click the "next" it informs me that there is an error connecting to the Zotero server.
  • edited October 31, 2014
    Would the same issue likely apply to Chrome? I'm using the standalone for Chrome.
    Yes. (For Standalone. Chrome is irrelevant, assuming you're not getting the error there.)

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/ssl_certificate_error
  • edited November 14, 2014
    So I had a harddrive problem. They replaced my hard drive and I downloaded Standalone again. While I can log on here...I now can't even LOG ON to Zotero from Standalone. It tells me that the server won't accept my log on information even though I'm giving exactly what I provide to log in here!

HELP?!?!
  • The campus does NOT have a block on the Zotero server, by the way. They have it set up to accept Zotero because a number of folks on campus do use it, and use it with Firefox. But now Zotero isn't compatible with the upgraded Firefox, so even that's shot down.

please, oh please, help...this is derailing EVERYTHING...
    Please less caps and provide more details, we understand you're frustrated, but the calmer your approach this, the easier it is to troubleshoot:
    Let's start with this:
    - Zotero is definitely compatible with all recent Firefox versions (i.e. 33 and 31 ESR. So "Zotero isn't compatible with the upgraded Firefox" can't really be the case. Which Zotero, which Firefox version?

- If you're having the same errors in Chrome, specifically
    www.zotero.org:443 uses an invalid security certificate.
    that's still the issue that Dan says. That doesn't point to campus IT blocking Zotero, but rather to interfering with your SSL connection. See his link.
    I tried to download and it specifically denied the download because "Zotero is not compatible with Firefox 30".

Also, there were only two words in all caps. But thank you for understanding my frustration.

I have no idea which Zotero. Whatever one you have on the website. I go to Zotero and try to download either Zotero for Firefox or Zotero Standalone with the Firefox extension and I get the same message.

As for being unable to even log in, I have no idea. I downloaded Standalone with the Chrome extension. I can log in here, obviously. But if I try to log in from Zotero itself (the software, on my computer, not the website) it tells me that the server doesn't recognize exactly the same login information. I have absolutely no understanding of why this would be. I can't do *anything* with the Standalone right now because it won't accept the log in, and since it won't accept the log in it doesn't discuss certificates or anything else. It just says the server doesn't recognize anything.

I do see that Firefox is notifying me that there's a new upgrade possible. I can try to upgrade Firefox and see if that helps with the problem there. Will using Zotero with Firefox at work be incompatible with using Standalone at home? That's my big fear. Does it connect to the same server based on my login information (if we can get it to work)?
  • yeah, just update Firefox - you need at least version 31, though normally would install 33, which I'd recommend. No problem using that with Standalone elsewhere, same server and everything.

If that doesn't work (which may still be the case) we'd need a debug ID for a failed sync attempt that produces that error
    http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#debug_output_logging
  • Good news! At least so far. I've been able finally to upgrade Firefox (the problem was something to do with how it was set up to block popups or something; I'm not sure what I did, but I got it to upgrade to 33.1), and to download the Standalone addon for Firefox. Let me see if I can now connect to the server that way.
  • Nope, nothing doing. Here's what it tells me: "The Zotero sync server did not accept your username and password."

(!!!)
  • AH. But I *can* see my files directly on the server. So there's that at least. Maybe in lieu of messing about with the program I should just work directly on the server via the browser when I'm at work?
  • this should really work, could you submit a debug ID as I ask above?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#debug_output_logging
    this needs to run when you click the sync arrow until you get the error message. Then send.

Obviously you _can_ work off the browser version, but it's much slower and shouldn't be necessary.
  • That's a possibility, but the website does not offer you nearly as many features as the client (imports are worse, you can't cite in a word processor if that's applicable, etc.)

Does your password perhaps contain some special characters? Nothing that you can find on a standard US keyboard would be an issue, but perhaps things like Alt + number sequence could produce characters that are currently incompatible with the client.

Also, please submit a debug log for an attempt to sync with the username/password you enter https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • (just to be clear - your password won't be in the debug and you shouldn't send or post it anywhere, but Dan would be able to see what's going wrong).
  • No, we sorted it! Somehow--and I still don't know how--but after a series of gyrations on our end (mine and that of the IT tech) we got it to work. I opened the software and suddenly it was populated with my library off the server. I cannot explain it...but I wonder if it was something about taking a bit of delay after the Firefox upgrade. Either way, it's working now, and I was even able to sync.

I'm sorry for my impatience earlier, and *very* grateful for your patience. Thank you again!