subsequent-author-substitute for multiple author-citations

Hi all,

with a little help from Adam, I successfully implemented a subsequent author substitute in a citation style (<option name="subsequent-author-substitute" value="______"/>) But now I realized, that this only works for single author citations:

Andreasen, Alan R. (1996). “Profits for nonprofits: find a corporate partner.,” Harvard Business Review, 74(6), 47-59.

_____ (1997). “From ghetto marketing to social marketing: bringing social relevance to mainstream marketing.,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 16(1), 129-131.

_____ (2001). “Ethics in social marketing,” Washington DC: Georgetown University Press.

_____ (2005). “Marketing scholarship, intellectual leadership, and the zeitgeist.,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 24(1), 133-136.

Andreasen, Alan R., & Minette E. Drumwright (2001). “Alliances and ethics in social marketing,” In A. R. Andreasen (Ed.), Ethics in social marketing (pp. 95–124), Washington DC: Georgetown University Press.

The Journal of Advertising requires that the "Andreasen, Alan R." would be subsituted even in the last bibliography entry. The sort order should remain as it is (first all single author papers in chronological order, than all two author papers etc.).

I could not find any entry discussing that problem in this forum. Can anyone help me with this?

Carina
  • not currently possible.
    Maybe Frank or someone else can tell us if it will be with csl 1.0 - the next, forthcoming version?
  • Interesting! What do other style guides say? If the substitution is generally meant to catch only the first name in the list, it could be set up to work that way. But at the moment, we match the whole list, like the current processor. If both behaviors are required (depending on the style), then an option would need to be added to CSL, and there will certainly be a longer wait.

If anyone has info on what other styles that do subsequent-author-substitute require, post away.
  • I couldn't find a style guide, but I'm positive both options exist -

I have here an Oxford University Press book (Ravenhill, Global Political Economy) that uses --- for the first author even if there is a different second one, i.e. what Carina describes for the Journal of Advertising

That one actually uses ---- ---- if two authors are replaced as in

Smith and Meyer, Book Title...
    ---- ---- , Seconde Book Title...

I also have a Princeton University Book (Rodrik, One Economics, Many Recipes) which only uses --- for the exact same author, i.e.

Rodrik, Book Title,

--- , Book Title

Rodrik and Someotherguy, Booktitle.
  • The AMA (who publishes the Journal of Marketing and others) has a guideline similar to the one of the Journal of Advertising (http://www.marketingpower.com/AboutAMA/Documents/AMA_Reference_Style.pdf). There the requirements are as follows:

"If an author appears more than once, substitute three em dashes (this will appear as a
    one-inch line when typeset) for each author's name (do not underline):

Simonson, Itamar (1989), “Choice Based on Reasons: The Case of Attraction
    and Compromise Effects,” Journal of Consumer Research, 16 (September), 158–

———, Allen M. Weiss, and Shantanu Dutta (1999), “Marketing in Technology-
    Intensive Markets: Toward a Conceptual Framework,” Journal of Marketing, 63
    (Special Issue), 78–91."

And in one of the newer JM-articles (Thompson and Sinhar 2008: Brand Communities and New Product Adoption), there is even an example of two subsequent authors who are replaced by dashes, as it is in Adam's Oxford University Press example:

Flinn, Christopher J. and James J. Heckman (1982a), Booktitle 1
    --- and --- (1982b), Booktitle 2
  • adamsmith, are you sure that "and" isn't inserted between the dashes for the "Smith and Meyer" example? Otherwise, to cover all these examples, we need to be able to specify:

1) the text string that should be used to substitute repeated author names
    2) whether substitution requires complete or only partial matching for the list of author names
    3) how substitution strings should be joined. E.g. "Smith and Meyer" and "---- ----" (dashes joined by a space) and "Flinn, Christopher J. and James J. Heckman" and "--- and --- " (dashes joined by " and ")
  • I double checked and unfortunately yes, that is the case. There is and and between the two authors and there is no and - just a space - between the two dashes replacing them.

But it might be worth exploring how common that is as a style - I just grabbed a couple of books from major presses and looked at them and this was one of the relevant examples (the rest of the citation style looks pretty close to Chicago author-date).
  • edited July 22, 2010
    I really dislike the "---- ----" solution. IMHO, it's much clearer to keep the normal name delimiters. So my vote would be against including CSL support for issue 3. Also, I found some instructions from the Chicago Manual of Style (http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-How-To/Line-instead-of-author-s-name-in-footnote/m-p/5110), which suggest we might need a three-way toggle.

For the following list, and subsequent-author-substitute set to "___",

BERNANKE, B. (1998)
    BERNANKE, B. (1999)
    BERNANKE, B., BLINDER, A. and GILCHRIST, S. (2000)
    BERNANKE, B. and GERTLER, M. (2001)
    BERNANKE, B., SMITH, A. and TYLER, B. (2002)
    BERNANKE, B., SMITH, A. and TYLER, B. (2003)

one could

i) replace the entire name list with the substitution string for complete matches of name lists (this is the Chicago Manual of Style option):

BERNANKE, B. (1998)
    ___ (1999)
    ___ (2003)

ii) replace each name with the substitution string for complete matches of name lists:

BERNANKE, B. (1998)
    ___ (1999)
    ___, ___ and ___ (2002)

iii) replace each name with the substitution string for complete or partial matches of name lists:

BERNANKE, B. (1998)
    ___ (1999)
    ___ and GERTLER, M. (2001)
    ___, ___ and ___ (2002)

Another example of option (iii): http://www.wiley.com/bw/submit.asp?ref=0013-0427&site=1
  • I agree with Rintze - that seems complicated enough.
    I had not seen the option I describe much before and yes, it is pretty ugly.
  • Just a note to say that Rintze opened a proposal ticket for this some time ago, and it's now been implemented in citeproc-js, pending approval for use in the official CSL schema.
  • edited September 4, 2018
    Hello,

I am just starting to edit my CSL style and I'd like to know where can anyone insert the line (<option name="subsequent-author-substitute" value="______"/>) as Carina was mentioning at the begining of the discussion?

Is it in TextEdit, and if yes, were exactly?

Thanks a million!
  • You add it to the bibliography line in the style, but note that the format is different slightly in the current version of CSL. See here for an example: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/pull/3663/files

You would edit the CSL file for the style in a plain text editor (like TextEdit), yes. See here for detailed instructions on editing styles: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step#manually_editing_csl_styles
  • Thanks! I'll do that and get back to you if I fail!
  • I'm already back! Do I add it just after ?
  • just the line after "bibliography"? Or at last?
  • Well it doesn't work. The system tells me that "option name" is an undefined node name. I don't see in the example, the line for subsequent-author-sustitute. Any idea?
  • No, please re-read my post. The “option” syntax is not used anymore. Look at the link I gave above for how to do this in the current CSL version. You just add “subsequent-author-substitute” as part of the “bibliography” line.
  • That's what I do and the system tells me "File is not valid XML"
  • Can you please post your code to hastebin.com and give a link here?
  • Sorry but I am a real beginner. How do you post on hastebin.com?
  • I went on the page hastebin.com, pasted the whole text of my style, saved, but no new URL appeared. How do I generate a link to my code?
  • don't save, but click on the page icon with the + sign ("New"). That'll give you a URL you can share.
  • replace the current bibliography line with
    <bibliography et-al-min="98" et-al-use-first="97" hanging-indent="true" subsequent-author-substitute="______">
  • edited September 5, 2018
    OK Thank you!