PDF title missing in firefox tabs

This may be a question for adobe or firefox, but hopefully someone has run into this problem-

When I open an attached pdf, where I used to see the title, now I only see "(application/pdf Object)" on each tab- making it impossible to know which tab has which paper open. BUT, when I open any PDF from the web, I DO see the title- for example, "W2_form.pdf (application/pdf Object)". Did I change something?

Zotero 2.0.2
Firefox 3.5.9
Adobe Reader 9.2.0
  • this has been standard behavior for quite a while - if you search there are a bunch of forum posts about this, too - could it be that you remember this wrong?
  • Sheesh, it must be... so weird, I thought I remembered seeing e.g. "Full Text (application/pdf Object)."

Too bad I spent all that time clicking "rename file from parent metadata," which should be an automatic pdf import option anyway.

This tab title thing really needs to be fixed. Foxit seems to do what I want, but then that's another program...
  • edited April 18, 2010
    Too bad I spent all that time clicking "rename file from parent metadata," which should be an automatic pdf import option anyway.
    it is when you import pdfs using a translator (e.g. from JSTOR).
  • This tab title thing really needs to be fixed.
    I believe the consensus last time this was discussed was that this was an intrinsic firefox limitation, and could only be solved from their end. I'm not sure whether that was definitively established though.

FWIW it's possible set Zotero to automatically stored PDFs in your default external reader (which would solve the tab title problem if you used a tabbed reader like foxit or PDF X-Change). The behaviour of other PDFs in firefox should not be affected i.e. they should still open within firefox. To do this go to about:config and set extentions.zotero.launchNonNativeFiles to True.

http://www.zotero.org/support/hidden_prefs
  • I believe the consensus last time this was discussed was that this was an intrinsic firefox limitation, and could only be solved from their end. I'm not sure whether that was definitively established though.
    Had anyone posted at least a tracking bug to Trac and, more importantly, Mozilla's Bugzilla? This might be a little fix for Mozilla, so it might happen. If not, it'd be great if someone with clear knowledge of what exactly Zotero isn't allowed to do went ahead and wrote up a bug report.
  • "the consensus last time this was discussed was..."

Sorry, I didn't find this discussion.

What confuses me is, I can open the same PDF from firefox's file>open command and the title appears on the tab as I would want it to. The difference is, I get the full path of the file in the address bar rather than e.g. zotero://attachement/xxxx/

So instead of zotero opening the file as an application/plugin, could zotero ask firefox to open it instead? Does that make sense? Also sorry if this is all repeat...
  • I was actually thinking the same thing - both opening a pdf from the web and from the harddisk does display the filename - it's only through Zotero that it doesn't - that seems odd, no?
  • "the consensus last time this was discussed was..."

Sorry, I didn't find this discussion.
    Now that I come to look for it I can't find it either, and I was so sure this was the case. I really don't know where else I would have found out about this, so I think I must be remembering incorrectly. Apologies for inadvertantly misleading everyone.
    I was actually thinking the same thing - both opening a pdf from the web and from the harddisk does display the filename - it's only through Zotero that it doesn't - that seems odd, no?
    Yes that does seem odd, like I say I am probably wrong about the firefox limitation claim.
  • So how can we proceed from here and ask developers for this feature?

Seems like the problem is on Zotero's side and I'm tired of jumping between firefox, word, and foxit.
  • developers read every thread even if they don't comment - no need for additional activity.
  • This problem is still endlessly annoying. I may have a good memory, but it's not THIS good:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2nh0unp.png