Google docs flashing green and unable to add citations/ bibliography or anything

Hello,
I am panicking a little bit. I was working on my thesis and adding a citation on google docs, when zotero suddenly will no longer do anything. Every time I try to click add citation, one of two things happen. 1. Nothing happens. 2. The citation bar pops up and I type my source and click to add and then the screen starts flashing green and zotero starts searching every letter "e" in the document. I tried to move the document to word, but zotero gives 0 response when I click anything there. I have tried opening/closing/restarting everything. I tried to just add my bibliography so I don't lose it, but that does nothing. I have not saved the bibliography anywhere so it's a big problem. I have my thesis submission in 24 hours so I am freaking out majorly. Please help
https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u14146678/w4jqe5dporyu2f49mfci.png
  • edited August 14, 2024
    It's this, but with an "e" instead of a period:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/108764/google-doc-is-cycling

You edited a citation by accident to include only an "e", and on Google Docs it has to scan the document for each "e" because of that. See what I say there to fix.
  • I tried to move the document to word, but zotero gives 0 response when I click anything there.
    We can also help you debug this if you want to move to Word, but we'd need a Report ID to start.
  • I saw your comment in that discussion but did not have luck/ maybe I did not know what to find. I moved my doc to word and enabled the field code, but I'm not sure what I am looking for?
  • If you toggle field codes in Word, you can scroll through your document and look for a code block in the middle of a word in place of the letter 'e'.

If you don't mind sending your document to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread, we can also probably just find this for you.
  • Ok will send the email right now.
  • You didn't actually follow the transfer steps — you just downloaded the file from Google Docs. You'd have to do a proper document transfer to work with the file in Word.
  • I was able to find the error with the field code, and now its working again. Thank you!