Should deleting a note (accidentally) be reversable?

I accidentally deleted a note and noticed that the deletion cannot be undone (Ctrl + Z). Should this action (an accidental deletion) be reversable or is this a bug?
  • Did you check the trash?

• Nothing in the bin

Give it a try yourself. Add a note. Delete it. Try and recover. You may get a different result which would point to something local to my environment.
  • I double checked before I posted. The deleted note was in the bin, and then was restored to the original item. (I don't think this should make a difference, but I'm on the Z7-beta.)
  • @timpaul: It's not clear what you mean here. Are you talking about undoing text editing, or undoing moving the note to the trash? There's no undo shortcut to move items back from the trash, but a deleted note will certainly go to the trash and can certainly be restored from there like any other item. Undo for text editing within a note should generally work, as long as you haven't switched away from the note.
  • edited 10 days ago
    Oh, that's really interesting. Thank you for checking @arggem. I'm on 6.0.36
  • edited 10 days ago
    @dstillman on Zotero 6.0.36
    1) click> Add Note from four icons at top of open PDF.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u4588823/dqq97674rlgobhlxf01b.png
    2) Click location on pdf to put note
    3) Write in the note
    5) Click on note icon (that I've just created)
    6) delete the note
    7) checked (empty) bin
  • I can do a screen recording if it's useful @dstillman? I'd prefer to post it privatley, tho
  • Oh, that’s not a note — that’s a note annotation. It’s not currently possible to restore those, but it will be in the future.
  • edited 10 days ago
    Ah, Thanks Dan.
  • Not a note ? ;) When you hover over that icon in the taskbar it says "Add Note". So it's an understandable misunderstanding. Is there somewhere where it's called a "note annotation" ? I think I've mentioned that ambiguity before, and suggested 'Comment' as a less confusing alternative.
  • edited 10 days ago
    Not a note ? ;)
    Please don't post like this here. No one is saying it's not an understandable misunderstanding, but it is a misunderstanding — these aren't "notes", as you well know.

This is the PDF reader. Everything you add in it is an annotation. They appear in the "Annotations" tab of the sidebar, where it says "Create an annotation to see it in the reader", and you add them to actual notes from the Notes pane on the right, among other ways from the "Add [Item/Standalone] Note from Annotations" button.

"Note" is the standard term used in PDF readers for this kind of annotation. We could consider calling them "sticky notes", which is the term Acrobat uses.

"Comment" is already used for the text you add to any kind of annotation.