Can plugins provide GUIs?

Hello all,

As a tanget to https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/65301/adding-a-custom-information-field#latest, would it possible to build plugins that have a GUI that lives in the right-hand panel?

For example, suppose I have an item, and I attach a file (say json or even csv) as a file attachment. That attachment could store relevant data pertaining to that item. I can of course double click that file to edit it locally, but that makes it very separate from Zotero.

Currently, when I select it, I just see the usual panel: Filename, modified, indexed, plus a space for notes. Would it be possible for a plugin to add to (or replace) this panel (for certain types of attachments)? That would allow more structured viewing or even interaction. Of course, this would be a fairly bespoke solution, but it could meet the requirement for adding more key/value pairs.

I also remember that the scite plugin added extra citation data which persisted - but I'm not sure whether that was data held locally or synchronised via Zotero. I guess the former.

Are there any views on the feasibility of this?