zotero downloads all files - even if not told so

I have configured my Zotero 6.0.30 for Windows 11 configured as follows:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u543677/ae3c3c6uzlqlhpec895e.png

The storage folder for the attachments is OneDrive symlinked in the Zotero folder.

Despite my "if needed" choice, Zotero downloads all the attachments.

Why? Is it possible to tell Zotero to download only the files I double-click to read?
  • But you're saying the 'storage' folder symlinked to OneDrive, right? So that's going to have all the files you add on any computer. That has nothing to do with Zotero file sync. You're at your Zotero storage quota, so all your files aren't even on the Zotero servers to download.
  • Sorry, symlinked to OwnCloud.

Owncloud is configured to only host virtual files.

As the files were indeed downloaded, I thought it was due to Zotero accessing the files, thus forcing Owncloud to download the content.
  • When you use Zotero file syncing, it needs to check local files to see if they’ve been changed.

But if you’re symlinking the storage folder to some cloud folder, you should just disable Zotero file syncing. I don’t understand why you have that enabled at all.

In any case, I’m afraid this isn’t a configuration we can help with.
  • I left the sync on because I annotate documents on two different computers. If I disable syncing what I do on a computer stays there and is not transferred to the second Zotero installation.
  • Annotations will sync without file sync, though
  • edited February 14, 2024
    I am able to have everything in sync as long as "sync automatically" is set. I do not really understand what "sync full-text content" means (it is not explained in the linked help page).

If I disable "sync automatically" then highlights and notes are not synced.
  • We're talking about file sync, i.e. "sync attached files"
  • Ok, understood. I disabled that. Thank you.
  • edited February 15, 2024
    Regarding your question about the meaning of 'sync full-text content', it's the text indexing of your attachments that allows full text searching ...
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/102077/what-is-the-difference-between-sync-tull-text-content-and-file-syncing