Zotero 7 Beta: toolkit.startup.recent_crashes keeps incrementing

edited January 25, 2024
After upgrading to version 7.0.0-beta.55+9151fb355 (64-bit) and restarting the app several times, I noticed that I was stuck in troubleshooting mode. I then noticed that toolkit.startup.recent_crashes was at 6, and each time I restarted Zotero the value would increment. I'm not sure if this is due to a plugin or not.

While at first it was easily reproducible, unfortunately later it was not. Below is hopefully a useful debug log:

D1360120866
  • Here's another debug log with add-ons disabled:

D778860325
  • Is it on Linux? I am in the same situation on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS. After rebooting, the first Zotero start is OK. Closing and restarting Zotero make the app to enter in troubleshooting mode.
  • Yes, I forgot to mention this is on Linux.
  • I cannot find a way to systematically trigger the troubleshooting mode. I am able to sometimes trigger it by modifying a setting, but it not always.
  • edited January 26, 2024
    Shouldn't have anything to do with other settings.

It may be a difference in how you're closing the app — e.g., which specific window control or keystroke you're using. This is a Firefox feature, and we may end up needing to just turn it off if we can't fix it, but it would be nice to keep it on.
  • Shouldn't have anything to do with other settings.
    Right, I cannot reproduce this way at the moment.
    It may be a difference in how you're closing the app
    I was thinking about this, related to this thread I guess.
    I think it occurred quite erratically, sometimes after closing with the cross, sometimes with File > Quit.

But again, I am unfortunately unable to find a unique trigger.
  • I've noticed the same but have also been unable to find a specific trigger yet (Ubuntu 23.10)
  • edited January 26, 2024
    This is my experience so far:

Alt + F4: increments recent_crashes.
    Ctrl + q: does not increment recent_crashes. In fact, the toolkit.startup.recent_crashes field disappears.
    Ctrl + w: increments recent_crashes.
    Clicking the close window control with mouse: increments recent_crashes.
  • I confirm that the problem is still the same as reported last year.
    So, it is reproducible: the Troubleshooting Mode is triggered whenever toolkit.startup.recent_crashes reaches 4.

To complete the list above:
    Restart with logging enabled does not increment the count of recent_crashes
    File -> Quit does not increment the count of recent_crashes
    For me, Ctrl+Q does not remove the entry toolkit.startup.recent_crashes. it just brings it down to 3 at the next restart, which is just enough to get out from the Troubleshooting Mode. I need to do it twice to remove the entry.

I still have the following errors (0x80070057, 0x80004005), in case it is related:
    [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsICommandLine.handleFlagWithParam]" nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)" location: "JS frame :: resource:///modules/BrowserContentHandler.jsm :: dch_handle :: line 1048" data: no]"]
    dch_handle@resource:///modules/BrowserContentHandler.jsm:1048:28

[JavaScript Error: "NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE: Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsICommandLine.handleFlagWithParam]" {file: "jar:file:///usr/lib/zotero-beta/app/omni.ja!/components/zotero-service.js" line: 526}]

[JavaScript Error: "NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsITelemetry.getHistogramById]" {file: "resource://gre/modules/TerminatorTelemetry.jsm" line: 87}]

Report ID: 1125593570

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/107011/zotero-7-error-when-syncing-html-attachments-to-a-windows-10-computer
  • Thanks for all the details.

For now, until we can prevent this from happening, we've just disabled this Firefox feature for the next beta.