Zotero 7: Error when syncing HTML attachments to a Windows 10 computer

edited August 18, 2023
I got a similar problem as in my previous post:
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/106337/zotero-7-sync-error
I have narrowed it down to receiving HTML files on a Windows 10 computer.

Steps to reproduce with Computer 1 & 2 both being Windows 10 computers:
1) From Computer 1, User A: Import a webpage with snapshot from Chrome directly into a shared group. Then sync and wait for the sync to finish. The snapshot can open correctly on that computer for that user.
2) Go to Computer 2, User B: Sync. The sync works properly, in the sense that the html file is correctly downloaded (I can see the file from Right Click -> Show File and open it in Chrome). However, Zotero cannot open that file in the HTML Viewer, showing the following error:
Error
Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIZipReader.close]
The also shows errors:
Report ID: 1629487485
Debug ID: D167448521

- Computer 2 is a clean virtual machine. So you can rule out any fancy security software.
- If Computer 2 is Windows 11, it can open all HTML files in the HTML Viewer on Computer 2.
- If Computer 1 is Windows 11, the problem persists in Computer 2 with Windows 10. So the problem comes from the receiving computer.
- Items with PDF file attachments are always fine. The problem is only with HTML files.
- Importing to the main library (vs. a shared group) also triggers the problem when receiving on a Windows 10 computer. So it is not related to the shared group or having different users.
- Installing Zotero 6 on top of Zotero 7 sovles the problem: the sync is successful without any error in Zotero 6. Then resinstalling Zotero 7, everything is fine...

Hopefully you can reproduce and track down the problem.
  • edited August 19, 2023
    Again the other error code from the previous post:
    [JavaScript Error: "Download request 20/DG7FD3JS failed"]

    [JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.remove]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/storageLocal.js" line: 965}]
    Report ID: 480731506
    Debug ID: D945054142

    It is again from a sync of HTML files.
    So it seems that both error are triggered by syncing HTML files on Windows 10.

    This time, reinstalling Zotero 6 and then 7 only solved the problem for one of the 2 problematic files. I still get a sync error:
    [JavaScript Error: "NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE" {file: "resource://gre/modules/PartitioningExceptionListService.jsm" line: 92}]

    [JavaScript Error: "Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=320698935197387&ev=PageView&noscript=1 (“img-src”)."]

    [JavaScript Error: "Download request 20/96MTXUC7 failed"]

    [JavaScript Error: "NotFoundError: Could not get children of file(C:\Users\mjthoraval\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Crash Reports\events) because it does not exist"]
    reportErrors@chrome://zotero/content/zoteroPane.js:6011:18
    buttonCallback@chrome://zotero/content/zoteroPane.js:5282:22


    [JavaScript Error: "Download request 20/96MTXUC7 failed"]
    Report ID: 765268368

    There seems to be a bit more information:
    [JavaScript Error: "Win error 1224 during operation open on file C:\Users\mjthoraval\AppData\Local\Temp\Zotero\96MTXUC7.tmp (L’opération demandée n’a pu s’accomplir sur un fichier ayant une section mappée utilisateur ouverte.
    )" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js" line: 1371}]
    Zotero.File*/this.checkFileAccessError@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js:1371:22
    Zotero.Sync.Storage.Mode.ZFS.prototype.downloadFile*@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js:75:19
    tryCatcher@resource://zotero/bluebird/util.js:16:23
    module.exports/PromiseSpawn.prototype._promiseRejected@resource://zotero/bluebird/generators.js:107:10
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise@resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:611:26
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise0@resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:649:10
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromises@resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:725:18
    _drainQueueStep@resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:93:12
    _drainQueue@resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:86:24
    Async.prototype._drainQueues@resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:102:16
    Async/this.drainQueues@resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:15:14
    [Replace the * with < as it seems to break the display.]
    Debug ID: D599758658

    Reinstalling again Zotero 6 and then again Zotero 7 solved the problem.
    I am still getting the Facebook error shown above:
    Report ID: 643164384
    Debug ID for a succesful sync and opening of the problematic files: D856475328
  • edited 25 days ago
    We've tracked this down to a Mozilla platform regression and reported it to them. It seems to only happen on Windows 10. We should be able to fix it before Zotero 7 final one way or another.
  • We're still hoping for an upstream fix, but in the latest beta we've made a change that should let these syncs go through despite the problem. Some files might accumulate in Zotero's folder in the system temp folder after file syncing, but if so they should be deleted when Zotero is closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.