New: Annotation editing and EPUB/snapshot support in the web library

We've just rolled out an update to the reader in the web library that lets you annotate PDFs online just as you can in the desktop app. Annotations you make in the web library will sync to your other devices, as well as to other group members in group libraries.

Similar to the Zotero 7 beta, it's also now possible to view and annotate EPUBs and webpage snapshots in addition to PDFs.

Along with the highlight, note, and image annotation tools available in Zotero 6, the updated reader adds support for creating ink, underline, and text annotations. Ink annotations are available for PDFs, while all three new annotation types are available for EPUBs and snapshots. Underline and text annotations will be enabled for PDFs once Zotero 7 is released.
  • I wish to express my gratitude for all the work you all put in Zotero. I much enjoy using it. I was hoping these additions would one day be made to an already wonderful product. Thank you all for continuously improving it. Best wishes to you all!
  • Great news! Thank you for important work! (It is crazy that no one else has made a tool for syncing annotations across epubs (except inside the Kindle-wall).
  • Thank you very much for all your great efforts and important updates that enhance Zotero's cross-platform and online capabilities compared to any other software.
    Utmost respect and gratitude to all your efforts and dedicated and continuous support for all users.
  • I couldn't say it better than agam2222 just did: THANK YOU!
  • many thanks.
    and will this feature be introduced to the Android version of zotero?
  • edited December 31, 2023
    @YuDiamond: Annotation editing is already available on Android. EPUB support will be coming later.
  • @dstillman Wow, I can't wait.

and there is another question, can the highlights in the epub file be exported and imported together with the epub file? Just like the highlights in a PDF file, you can export and import.
  • Snapshot annotation is awesome! Thank you!

Am I correct in understanding that the following relates only to the web reader:

"Similar to the Zotero 7 beta, it's also now possible to view and annotate EPUBs and webpage snapshots in addition to PDFs."

If it's meant to apply also to the desktop app 6.xxx, I don't see it yet.

Thanks again!
  • Correct, this now exists in the web library and had previously already in Zotero 7 (beta), Zotero 6 isn't going to get any substantive updates anymore.
  • thanks for the response, Adam!
  • edited January 11, 2024
    This option makes it possible for people who missed the early access for Android to be able to annotate pdfs from Android devices. For example I have a Boox Note 5 and I can access my Zotero sync pdfs and annotate them. There are some issues like highlights being pale, scrolling with stylus not working while annotating is activated and document's edges not being fixed to display's edges but in the end it works. I guess theese aspects will be more manageable in Android version.