Zotero SBL style suddenly different?

Hi there, is anyone else having issues with the SBL style all of a sudden? The edition, if necessary (like with ebooks), should be included after the page number. Last month zotero was placing the edition reference after the page number, which is the correct place.

However today, all edition references are being placed *before* publisher and year, incorrectly. The citation preview is (of course) showing the edition reference in the incorrect place also. I'm not sure what has changed?

I've uninstalled the styles, restarted zotero, and reinstalled the citation style and it is still not referencing correctly.

Any ideas?
  • Non of the SBL styles have been updated for over a year. It's certainly possible this is incorrect, but not newly so, no. Could you provide an example of an incorrect citation and the section of the SBL manual your consulting for refence?
  • for example, copied directly from the Style previewer:

Society of Biblical Literature 2nd edition (full note)

Footnote:
    Michael F. Bird, “Amyraut as Exegete: Building the Biblical Case for Bi-Covenantal Universalism,” in Unlimited Atonement, ed. Michael F. Bird and Scott Harrower, E-book Edition. (Kregel Academic, 2023).

Bibliography:
    Bird, Michael F. “Amyraut as Exegete: Building the Biblical Case for Bi-Covenantal Universalism.” Unlimited Atonement. Edited by Michael F. Bird and Scott Harrower. E-book Edition. Kregel Academic, 2023.

"E-book edition" should appear at the end, as per 6.2.25 of the SBL 2nd style guide book.
  • Thanks Adam! It's so strange it was fine a month ago for my last essay.

The correct citation should be, and which was correct a month ago is:

Footnote:
    Michael F. Bird, “Amyraut as Exegete: Building the Biblical Case for Bi-Covenantal Universalism,” in Unlimited Atonement, ed. Michael F. Bird and Scott Harrower, (Kregel Academic, 2023), 45, E-book edition.

Bibliography:
    Bird, Michael F. “Amyraut as Exegete: Building the Biblical Case for Bi-Covenantal Universalism.” Unlimited Atonement. Edited by Michael F. Bird and Scott Harrower. Kregel Academic, 2023. E-book Edition.
  • Do you have E-book in the Zotero edition field or in the extra field?
  • in the edition field
  • We can think about have we can do this, but the electronic edition information is the exception here: standard edition information, like "3rd edition," should be exactly where it currently is (and it has always been there -- I'd guess you have added this manually in your previous paper -- I really don't see how the current style would have ever done this regardless of how you enter data in Zotero and certainly not via the edition field.)

I think we can add this as "medium" to the end of the citation, so that Medium: E-book edition in the Extra field would get picked up by the style.
  • Hi Adam! I see what you mean. Yes, if it was a subsequent edition of the book it would be correctly position.

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy!

Instead of reworking the citation style, perhaps I just need to change where in Zotero I place the "e-book/kindle edition" notation ...