changing position lets attachement disappear

When I change the position of an attachement (e.g. a pdf) it disappears. My first attempts reappeared after restarting firefox, but some of my last attempts seem to be lost forever.
  • I just found out, that they are not gone, but moved in the entry-list. So I have to correct my bug-report to:

Drag & drop does not allways move the attachement to the highlighted spot.
  • that's not a bug - the middle panel is a sorted list - when the attachment has a different title/author it goes to the approapriate position in the list.
  • It seems that I have explained a little confusing.

In one entry are several attachements. By double-clicking on the main entry-label zotero opens the first of these attachements. Thats why I (in some cases) like to change the order of these attachements by drag & drop.
    Trying to do so I clicked, dragged and released and my file was gone. It was not at the position I dragged it to.
    Some investigation brought up, that some varios things happen. In some cases it just takes time (does zotero physically move the file?), but in other cases the file moved out of the entry in the main-list (I am pretty sure I released it at the right point. I tried with several files).
    There are at least two cases, where the file is completely gone (I did not even find the pdf by full-text-search).
  • edited January 27, 2010
    You can't manually change the order of items in Zotero by dragging. When you drag a child item and see a horizontal line, letting go will make it a top-level item (which, granted, can be confusing, but that's how it works currently).
  • Ah okay. It really is confusing, because the horizontal line was between two child items. The line should not appear, if the file could not me moved to that spot.

Changing Order might be a helpful feature though. I have one entry of a book, for example, where the first chapter is scanned as a pdf and the second chapter is scanned as numbered jpgs. Now the jpg-files are above the pdf, but they are chapter two....
  • You're right that the line should not appear.

Logical ordering has been requested many times, but it'd have some far-reaching implications that would need to be considered before it was implemented. Since the attachments sort alphabetically, as a workaround you can just rename the attachments by clicking on the title in the right-hand pane. (The title in Zotero can optionally differ from the filename.)