trouble with python / MSword add-on after update to firefox 3.6

2»
  • edited February 1, 2010
    Hi everyone, I ran into exact the same problem. There seems to be a problem with the xpcom and Firefox 3.6 other apps have the same problem (pyjama thing). I made a new firefox profile and copied the pythonext@mozdev.org folder from the old to the new profile/extensions folder. And now I can actually see the plugin under add ons but it is marked grey with a exclamation mark (It says "Python 2.6.2 XPCOM bindings"). And of course the word plugin doesn't work. So I hope there'll be an update soon cause I need Zotero for my work. Oh yea and one more thing: Watching the extensions folder while firefox is installing the pythonext the pythonext@mozdev.org folder is there for 2 seconds but then removed again.
    I tried: pythonext-2.6.4.20100126-Darwin_x86-gcc3 and also
    pythonext-2.6.2.20090920-Darwin_universal

both had the same behavior. Good bug hunting and thank you for the great software!

My system: 10.6.2 firefox 3.6 office 2008 12.2.3

Update: Call me crazy but now it works. I just by chance went one more time into the add ons window and pushed the update all button. It said something about a compatibility update after the next restart zotero word plugin works with this python version: pythonext-2.6.2.20090920-Darwin_universal
  • Yeah, copying in an existing python@mozdev.org should generally work, as should (I believe) unzipping the XPI—which is just a zip file with a different extension—into a python@mozdev.org directory within the extensions directory (and then, if you're using 20090920, doing a Find Updates from Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions to update its compatibility). The problem seems to be only during the normal installation process.
  • Great, so it looks like we found a work around so far. One more thing I did't before it worked is deleting the cache files as Dan suggested.

@Dan: Yea that would explain why the mozdev.org folder is visible for some seconds during installation. I love when bugs are being hunted down. grr :)
  • edited February 3, 2010
    An update: The official alpha version of PythonExt for Firefox 3.6 from mozdev.org will likely not install on OS X due to a Firefox bug. (It's also Intel-only and wouldn't work anyway on PPC systems.) PythonExt 2.6.2.20090920 from zotero.org should work (see follow-up below) along with the version 3.0a8 of the MacWord plugin. (Version 3.0a7 of the MacWord plugin worked under some circumstances, but it didn't properly fix the component error that could occur if PythonExt was installed after the MacWord plugin. 3.0a8 does.)

As far as we know, PythonExt 2.6.2.20090920 from zotero.org doesn't have the not-installed-after-restart problem that the mozdev.org alpha version has—or at least we haven't been able to reproduce it, and it would have to have a different cause.

We're aware of only one issue with PythonExt 2.6.2.20090920, which is a crash that occurs if you open Firefox via a link. We're working on a fix for this, but OS X users that leave Firefox open or that open Firefox from the Dock before clicking on links in other applications shouldn't be affected.

If you have further trouble, let us know.
  • Hi everyone, I ran into the same problem after updating to Firefox 3.6 (german) on Snow Leopard (10.6.2). Using the new PythonExt 2.6.2.20090920 does not solve the not-installed-after-restart problem for me.

I tested it on a fresh user account with a new Firefox 3.6 installation and PythonExt as only add-on. No error message occures. The add-on won't show up after restart and there is no python@mozdev.org folder.

With Firefox 3.5.7 PythonExt installs as expected.
  • edited February 3, 2010
    Oh, actually, try this one:

[link removed]
  • Great, PythonExt 2.6.2.20100203 works like a charm.
    Keep up the good work.
  • OK, great. I've made that version available from the installation page.
  • Thanks! Now PythonExt appears in the Add-on list, but there is no ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu.

I created the folder and put the Zotero folder in it, but it did not work. My MS Office is in Spanish, so I suspect the folder should have a different name, no idea which one.

Report ID 10770265311.
  • Please post different issues to new threads.
  • From a post on another thread:

I'm having the problem described above but with the following versions:
    FF: 3.6
    Zotero: 2.0rc2
    MacWord Integration: 3.0a8
    PythonExt: 2.6.1.20090330 (which is greyed out)

Error report: 1911192785

I get the same Zotero MacWord integration error message when I open FF. It offers to install the appropriate extension and restart FF, but it ends up becoming a loop I can't get out of unless I click Cancel.

Dan recommended that I download the new PythonExt on the installation page. I did that, restarted Firefox only to have the same loop happen again. There is a red exclamation sign in the new PythonExt bar in the Add-Ons box. I also tried deleting the extension cache files as recommended above, but still have the same crazy loop.
  • alawrenc: Uninstall PythonExt, restart Firefox, close Firefox, and then go into 'extensions' within your Firefox profile directory and make sure pythonext@mozdev.org is completely removed. Then reinstall the version from the installation page.
  • Hi Dan,

I just updated to the new zotero wordintegration and the new pythonExt and every thing seems to work fine. For me the problem is resolved. Thanks for your work!!

olaf
  • Hi Dan, I did exactly what you said. Now, when I download the PythonExt file, it shows up in the extensions directory when I download it. But, when I restart FF, it disappears completely from the Add-Ons list in FF and the extensions directory. I get an error message saying I need an updated version of PythonExt. I attempted to download it again, restart, same message. I made sure it did not appear in the extensions folder of my profile, and I restarted the computer. Same deal.

Error Report ID: 859034842

Other thoughts?
  • WAIT, WAIT. I'm a doofus. It works now. I had been following the link to the mozdev.org site, BUT the extension on the zotero installation page works. I can't explain why I kept going to the PythonExt site. Thanks for the fix, Dan. Sorry about the confusion on my end.
  • Dan, I told Todd about the symlink issue regarding his installation. The next candidate of PythonEXT 2.6.4 should fix this.
  • Great, thanks.
  • I posted an error: 880965603

Zotero stopped working after upgrading to Firefox 3.6. (Downgrading to 3.5.7 has not fixed the problem.)

Running OSX 10.5.8; Zotero 2.0rc5; PythonExt 2.6.2.20100203; MacWord Integration 3.0a8. Word version X.

When I try to insert a footnote, I get the following message:

Zotero Integration Error
    Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Restarting, reinstalling, and following other suggestions in the forums has not worked. Please help! Thank you.
  • "following other suggestions" is not a very helpful description of steps taken...

but the problem is most likely with Word X which has never been officially supported by Zotero and will not work with Zotero 2.0.