Available for beta testing: Updated reader with EPUB/snapshot support and new annotation types

13»
  • edited July 29, 2024
    For epub reader:
    - ability to adjust the reader width corresponding the window width
    - add copy button for `code` blocks (epub file has such tags itself)
    - ability to highlight the code (maybe with prism)
  • add copy button for `code` blocks (epub file has such tags itself)
    We could probably implement that. Do you have an example EPUB with the correct markup?
    ability to highlight the code (maybe with prism)
    Do you know of any other EPUB readers that do this? Ideally that seems like something the book's CSS should handle - we don't really want to be in the business of maintaining code highlighting rulesets, language detection, etc., when it could just be baked into the EPUB. But I'm open to looking into it if it's something other readers support.
  • edited July 29, 2024
    > We could probably implement that. Do you have an example EPUB with the correct markup?

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/xMWyWj33CH

> ability to highlight the code (maybe with prism)

It can be a low priority feature, I can only know the Chinese APP "Wechat Read" implemented it.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u4636384/88wnva2903140viw6xy7.png

• edited 19 days ago
    was stroked to see that EPUB reader was included in 7 Beta, but was surprised to see this conversation was almost exactly a year ago.

I already had 7 Beta installed locally, but downloaded version linked & opened. File > Import > Grab *.epub, and it errored out saying file incompatible.

did I miss a different load/import path of epubs in 7 Beta?...

Congrats on the release of 7! downloading now
  • @jcachat: File → "Import…" is for importing bibliographic data. You add EPUBs on your computer like any other local file — dragging into Zotero or using the Add Attachment → "Add File…" option in the Zotero 7 toolbar.
  • @dstillman - wonderful, you are right - thank you.

able to open & read epubs in v7.0 on mac os desktop. importing the book by ISBN, then attaching the epub - chefs kiss.

in iOS app, Zotero asks what to do with the epub attachment - doesn't seem to be able to open them in reader. is this expected/known?
  • The iOS app doesn't yet support EPUBs, but that's coming soon.