HTML export is blank

I'm using 6.0.23 and when choosing HTML export I get a head/body that is empty. I have tried this with export of a library and of a collection. What am I missing?
  • Not sure what you mean by "HTML export". Can you provide Steps to Reproduce?
  • Right click on collection. Select export. Drop down gives HTML as an option. Select that and save the file. Although collection have about 40 items, the resulting export file in its entirety does not contain any info from the collection. I would show what it is but it doesn't render here because of the coding - it's just a single line with the html+head+body tags.
  • Figured out how to encode it here. This is the sum total of the output:

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><meta charset="utf-8"></head><body><div class="zotero-notes"></div></body></html>
  • edited March 22, 2023
    Drop down gives HTML as an option.
    No it doesn't — it gives "Note HTML" as an option. I assume that's what you mean? (It's important to be precise about what you're seeing on screen when reporting problems or we're not going to know what you're referring to.)

That's a recently added option for note export that isn't supposed to be present on collections — you can see that it doesn't appear if you select regular items, even if there are some notes included in the selection. It only appears if you select notes specifically. So it's just a bug that it's appearing for collections. We'll fix that.

You haven't actually said what you're trying to accomplish, but you can use "Generate Report from Collection…" or "Generate Report from Items…" to get one possible presentation of item data and save that as HTML. There's also a third-party plugin that can customize the report format.
  • I couldn't figure out how to post an image here, but here's the screen shot:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3n77oclsi9jxbyk/Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 6.30.41 PM.png?dl=0
    It definitely says HTML. However, we may not be talking about the same menu. As I said, this one is available from a right click on the collection, then select "export" from that menu.
  • Yeah, that should definitely say Note HTML (and that's what it does say for me). Not sure why that's not what you're seeing, but for everything else see dstillman's post. This isn't what you want in the first place -- it makes no sense for anything but a note and shouldn't be in that menu at all.

If you want some sort of HTML from a collection, tell us in more detail what sort of export you're after and we may be able to suggest options -- as dstillman notes reports are in HTML, you can also generate bibliographies as html.
  • Here's what I'm offered when I select HTML from that dropdown:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/e852owwrfw712n4/Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 6.36.26 PM.png?dl=0
    I hope these are not locked for some reason. I will try the report generator.
  • Again, that option is only for notes. It just don't make sense in the context in which you're seeing it and the fact that you see it at all is a bug. If you have a Zotero note, you can use that option to export it as html and that'll maybe clarify what it's supposed to do.

If you can try to explain what you're actually after with HTML export, we can say more.
  • edited March 22, 2023
    OK, it looks like there are two related bugs here:

1) "Note HTML" and "Note Markdown" are shown for collections when they shouldn't be.

2) If you trigger an export with just notes selected, the options are shown as just "HTML" and "Markdown" instead of the full translator names, and then until Zotero is restarted they appear that way in all future contexts, including the collection export drop-down (where they shouldn't appear at all).

I'm actually not sure how @kcoyle has both "HTML" and "Note Markdown" at the same time, but in any case, we'll fix this — sorry for the confusion, @kcoyle. But as we say, the "HTML"/"Note HTML" and "Markdown"/"Note Markdown" options shouldn't appear there at all and you should ignore them.
  • Thanks. I'm working with the bibliographies. Modifying a style and hoping I can do the rest with some CSS to pretty it all up.