Bibliography Question

I am finalizing a book manuscript. I have a word file for each chapter. I need to have a bibliography for the entire book. I tried cutting and pasting all of the chapters into a monster file and then generating a bibliography. Problem: The manuscript is about 600 pages and has about 2,000 footnotes. The resulting file is too big to easily use and Zotero has a really hard time handling it, e.g. freezing, failing to update, etc.

Is there any other way of generating a bibliography from multiple files?
  • What word processor, what operating system? Generally speaking, what you are doing is the right approach, though I would recommend waiting until you are completely done with anything citation related, then merge, create the bibliography, save a copy of the document and unlink citations.
  • I'm using Microsoft word on Mac OS 12.6.3
  • Right, so Word for Mac is the slowest possible combo and I'm not surprised you're having a terrible experience with that size of a document.
    If it's possible to do the final assembly on Windows, that'll be much smoother. The Windows machine would need Word and Zotero, of course, but it wouldn't need your Zotero library.