Feature request: 'Enter' to complete annotation

When typing a comment in the annotation pane, could we have 'Enter' close editing on the comment instead of create new line (this could be shift+enter)? I know Tab accomplishes this, but it feels satisfying for me to use enter to complete a thought. Thanks.
  • My annotation comments often require new lines and hitting enter is the most natural way to do this, so I would oppose this.
  • I see. And 'shift-enter' isn't sufficient for this?
  • I think hitting 'Enter' to leave the editing state would be quite disruptive for a lot of people as it's probably the most common way to insert a new line.

Does hitting ESC to leave the comment dialog not give you the same satisfaction?
  • Haha, not really. ESC for me signals I'm somewhere I don't want to be, more like cancelling an operation than completing it.

That said, if it's disruptive to others to change this, I certainly wouldn't insist.
  • edited October 4, 2022
    I was thinking about the same problem recently. I could not really find a good shortcut to complete the annotation.
    I have looked into how it is done in Adobe Acrobat. Pressing ESC completely cancels the writing in the annotation, deleting all the text written in that comment. Pressing Tab simply inserts a tab in the comment.

I am still using Acrobat to review papers with the annotations. So having a shortcut so contradictory in Zotero is actually quite disruptive to me. Getting used to that shortcut, I will probably end-up loosing a lot of comments in Acrobat.

The shortcut working for me in Acrobat is Ctrl+S. But I could not find any information on what is the recommended shortcut to complete a comment in Acrobat. I have tried to post on Reddit, but I did not get any reply yet.

What are the shortcuts used in the main PDF readers doing annotation?
  • Currently, the shortcut to save the Abstract or the Extra field in the Info Tab is Shift+Enter.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/keyboard_shortcuts

To be consistent, I think it would be logical to keep the same shortcut to save the annotations.
  • I would also like a shortcut for exiting the Annotations pane after writing a comment.

Microsoft Word uses cmd + enter to do this. I find this very handy.