Mozilla Crashes on Adding Citation

On machines with updates to 2.1.1 and the compatible Word 2007 plug-in, mozilla crashes when I try to add in a citation.
Is there a fix, or is there a URL where I can re-install Zotero 2.0.x and the compatible Word 2007 plug-in so I can teach a workshop tomorrow morning?
Thanks.
  • edited March 29, 2011
    I would try one of the machines with the trunk XPI first, to see whether recent changes remedy the issue that's hitting you. Failing that, downgrading is just a matter of copying the old database into place, and reinstalling with the 2.0 client.
  • Ok, I'll try that when I get back in the lab. If the trunk XPI doesn't work, the link you have above takes me to 2.1.1: is there another location to get 2.0?
  • You should try the 2.1 Branch dev XPI (available from the same page) rather than the trunk.
  • (Sorry Dan, aoconnor. I wavered over which was appropriate, and chose poorly.)
  • The branch XPI is no longer necessary; just update to Zotero 2.1.2. If this doesn't help and you have the chance, it would also be great if you could first try the WinWord Integration Trunk XPI before downgrading to 2.0.9.
  • Also, if you downgrade, you'll need to install the older WinWord plugin.
  • I just had the same problem, just in a wholly different setting.
    I use zotero 2.1.8 with Firefox 5.0 and openoffice 3.3.0
    (win 7 x64 professional)

Just now Firefix crashed 4 times in a row after adding a citation in a paper I'm writing. Yesterday, however, everything worked fine...

A lot of software has upgraded since March 31st, so I'm just asking the question again. What can I do to prevent the crashing of firefox?
  • I'd upgrade Open Office - not sure if that helps, but seems like a good place to start.
  • I would, if I didn't already have the newest version.
    Should have mentioned that all my software is up to date...
  • oh - sorry, I get the version numbers confused - I believe Libre Office just came out with 3.4.
    It's really hard to say - apparently some people have issues with FF 5 and crashes - that seems to be a general issue and not a Zotero issue. You could try downgrading to FF 4 I guess, more generally, though, it's probably worth looking for solutions on the mozilla forums.
  • FF5 only crashes when I insert a citation with Zotero into OO.org, so I don't think it's just a general issue. But perhaps with FF4 things will run smoother. I could at least try. thanks
  • edited August 5, 2011
    Can you get the report ID for a crash from about:crashes and post it here? Generally, there's no way the OOo.org plug-in should be able to crash anything except by triggering an underlying Firefox bug, but it's possible there's something we need to work around. Also, if you haven't already, try disabling third-party add-ons and extensions.
  • Where can i get the report ID?
    I'll try disabling other add-ons.
  • edited August 5, 2011
    edit: ignore - see Dan below
  • edited August 5, 2011
    Type about:crashes in the Firefox address bar and look for the relevant crash.
  • It did it again... crash reports of today:

bp-4e5b5f95-a8ba-4c55-b34d-3a9d22110808
    bp-26c5473b-a1d0-4c7e-8fa1-b69182110808

Hope you can make more of it than I can.
  • Re-installed the OpenOffice plugin and disabled other extensions. Still crashes.
    For a moment I thought it worked, then saved my work and it crashed at the next citation added.
    However, repeating this did not yield the same results.

Generally, firefox crashes on the second citation added. not immediately on the first.
  • The first crash report is an old plugin hang unrelated to Zotero and the second won't load for me. Do you have a new one from today?
  • edited August 10, 2011
    Meanwhile, I tried changing to Libreoffice. When I finally switched the citation plugin, it became clear that it didn't help anything. firefox keeps crashing

So the problem is somewhere between zotero and firefox.

Today's crash reports:
    Edit: they were from monday... firefox somehow did not make new ones... ?

This thing is really keeping me from my work, so I hope someone can give me a solution soon. I'll try downgrading next...

Edit: where can I find an older openoffice plugin that may work?
  • Downgraded firefox to 4.01 = still crashes

Next I will downgrade the plugin
  • edited August 10, 2011
    Those are the same reports as above, and neither of them are related to Zotero. Is Firefox crashing (closing on its own and hopefully opening a dialog asking you whether you want to report the crash to Mozilla) or hanging (failing to respond to user input)?

You can get the older plugin on the installation page, but we won't be supporting it or updating it for newer versions of Firefox or Zotero.
  • edited August 10, 2011
    See edit...
    Firefox "stops responding" after which I close the program and it starts sending information to microsoft. - which corresponds to hanging

Edit: to be more specific: I add the citation, click OK, after which the citation is added to the document, but instead of leaving, the add citation pop-up hangs.
  • I've downgraded the openoffice plugin to 3.1b1 and it seems to be stable up till now.

Of course it's not a solution, it's a temporary patch. If I didn't have to work on this paper, I'd help find the problem. But obviously it's somewhere in the plugin.
  • Yeah I've been getting quite a few freezes for the first time recently. I'm running FF 7.0.1, and LibreOffice 3.3.4, and 3.5b1 Zotero integration.

Sometimes when I add a citation and click ok, the whole thing freezes (both firefox and Libreoffice). If I then shutdown FF, Libreoffice comes back but apart from that it doesn't ever appear to unfreeze.

It's also happened when I've changed citation styles.

Restarting the computer fixes the problem, but it's pretty annoying!
  • I've upgraded to Zotero 3.0b2 and the crash is still happening! I'm running Windows 7 by the way.