Feature request - Undo & Trash Bin for Group Lib - PLEASE

I'm getting off sick of accidental losses of files in our group lib. Accidental removed items, that result in a file deleted, causing us to re-retrieve files and add them back to our lib. What a waste...and the calls are like "I accidentally deleted the wrong file, but I don't know which one was deleted." Uggg.

This should be easily fixed by having remove send files to the Trash bin. And an Undo button would also be sweet.

Thanks for all the effort...we love Zotero...even with it's limitations.

-Jake
  • I'd like to second the call for an 'undo' function--it's not infrequent that zotero's responsiveness lags somewhat with a big library and a bunch of tabs open in firefox, and the PDF you meant to drop in one item ended up in another or an item in the wrong collection or even the wrong library. How hard would it be to activate "ctrl-Z" functionality in Zotero?
  • It is true that sometimes "Undo" would be very useful. In my case, it happens I accidentally delete title when editing it, or when copying a title to a wrong field (for instance, when creating a new item and copying title name from the source, I accidentally click on a different item, and overwrite its title). I know it is my own fault, but... Errare humanum est...
    JR
  • I've implemented Trash for group libraries on the trunk. It will be included in 3.0b3.
  • I'm new to Zotero and have just deleted a note from a reference because I wasn't aware that the icon I was clicking on was a delete icon (I thought it closed an expanded item). Having read another discussion thread I see that an undo feature is difficult to add. What about a message saying 'Are you sure you want to delete this?' then? I know it would slow things down a bit, but it does add an extra check that might save users from that sinking feeling as they delete something that they may find difficult to recreate.

Just a thought...
  • I think that deleted notes go to trash as well, but I might be wrong about this. Worth checking anyway.
  • edited January 6, 2012
    k_chandler: 1) There's already a confirmation dialog for deletes. 2) Deleted notes go into the trash. 3) I don't know what you clicked, but there's no delete icon in Zotero. The only way to delete an item is via the keyboard or context menu.