Unable to import either .bib or .ris from Mendeley

Every attempt starts with one or two records getting imported, then failing with:

An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again.

The error report number is 2071885886

This is reproducible on Mac and Windows, on the 2.0, 2.1x and standalone beta versions. My goal is to get my Mendeley library into Zotero *somewhere*, so that I can sync it, and then begin using the standalone client alpha.
  • Can you break the RIS file into smaller pieces and try to isolate a particular entry that is triggering this? Usually this is caused by malformed RIS or BibTeX, and sometimes from bugs in Zotero's import translators.
  • It's a number of entries - and it's all pdf and other file links. If I use a text editor to remove all lines that refer to linked files on my system, I can import.

I would ideally like to import attached files as well.
  • post one of those here - i.e. the .ris for one item w/ attachment
  • I am having this difficulty as well. I am trying to import a .bib from Mendeley. I get no error messages, but the import does not happen.
  • same request to post a sample .bib - also, make sure to specify which Zotero version you're using.
  • Same thing's happening to me, using version 2.1a3. Here's a sample .bib entry:

@article{Adams2001,
    author = {Adams, Nancy K and DeSilva, Shanaka L and Self, Steven and Salas, Guido and Schubring, Steven and Permenter, Jason L and Arbesman, Kendra},
    file = {:Users/heatherwright/Documents/Scientific Papers/Adams\_Huaynaputina.pdf:pdf;::},
    journal = {Bulletin of Volcanology},
    keywords = {Vulcanian eruptions,breadcrust,plinian},
    pages = {493--518},
    title = {{The physical volcanology of the 1600 eruption of Huaynaputina, southern Peru}},
    volume = {62},
    year = {2001}
    }
  • First upgrade to the latest release candidate of 2.1 (RC2) -- some import issues were fixed in the earlier betas.
  • 2.1a3 is Standalone, so wrighthm would have to wait for the next Standalone build or try from Firefox.
  • Oh-- in that case this is after the import issues were resolved. I'll look into this.
  • Confirmed. This even happens with BibTeX that Zotero exports. I'll look into it.

In the meantime, you can remove the "file" line and I think it will import. That, of course, is not a solution or a good workaround.
  • Hi all,

I am having problems with even getting to the error stage described above. I have been using Mendeley and am trying to convert to Zotero. I exported my mendeley library as a *.bib file and a .RIS file but when I go to import them into zotero, it won't read them, e.g. when I go to select them, the icons and text are grayed out, so I can't select them. I have the most current firefox and zotero. I don't know if this matters but I am trying this on a mac.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks
  • First of all, the original problem in this thread seems to be fixed.

Tidus77: If you're still having trouble, can you start a new thread and post a screenshot of what the library looks like? Sounds like an incompatible extension or theme. You may want to try disabling other Firefox add-ons, themes, and personas.