Firefox not responding when both using basic search and editing a title in Zotero

Dear Adam,

this is the new thread I promised to create to report another problem. I am sorry I am not able to send either an error report, or a debug log, but when the problem occurs Firefox ceases to respond completely (I have tried to wait for 5 minutes, to no avail), and the only possibility to solve its hanging is actually to close it and relaunch it. And after a relaunch, all the reports and logs are lost.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Use basic search to find an author (the name has to remain filled in the box)
2. Click on an item
3. Try to edit a title (I have tried correcting the spelling, once, and altering the case, twice)
4. Firefox ceases to respond
5. Close Firefox and relaunch it
6. Try to reproduce these steps again (I have tried it three times, with the very same results)

Thanks again for you patience and commitment.
JR
  • I can't replicate that - people have reported severe lags when editing items in search results, so that's likely what you're seeing.
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/17819/zotero-slow-when-change-item-fields/
    but it's hard to say more.
  • Dear Adam,

Thanks for your reply. You are right the problems reported in the thread you referred to seem to be similar. However, in my case it is not only about slowing, or lagging, it means a deadlock, from which there is no way to escape except the relaunch of FF. I think I will cease to use basic search to prevent it. Nevertheless, I would like to ask you to address this problem in some of the future bug fixes. Of course, I will report the problem more properly in case I found out how to do it.

Best wishes
    JR