need to see "label" field in zotero with BibTeX

just stumbled upon this very very nice tool.
i've been using endnote up to now, but like the seamlessness of the firefox integration. my problem is that zotero didn't import the label from endnote... i saw that it generates labels when exporting to BibTeX, but i need to able to see those labels without sifting through though .bib-file! just a column with labels in the main zotero window would do. and of course the ability to customize the label - maybe even with a parsing function to make sure no label has been used twice...?

thanks!
  • Better support for bibtex citation keys is planned.
  • thank you for your quick response!

i don't want to come across as being pushy... but is there a time frame for this?
    i've just finished my phd thesis using endnote and would really like to recommend zotero to my friends and colleagues... but it's just not feasible to use zotero and LaTeX (BibTeX) unless you have quick and easy access to the labels while writing.

thanks!
  • There is a patch in the dev group that offers a work-around.
    It has been said that the real solution will come with Zotero 1.5.
  • The patch from the dev list should be in 1.0.4 (though it will require a manual Reset Translators and Styles).
  • When can we expect 1.0.4? I'm also in the recent discoverer's and bibtex users category and was hoping to use this to track references for my thesis. The various comments in the forums regarding citation keys makes me a bit hesitant to do so.

I had assumed that citation keys would remain constant between exports, but the forums seem to indicate otherwise. Is this correct?

Also, I'd love to be able to just right-click on a reference in zotero and select a "copy citation key to clipboard" option or somesuch. How does the proposed workaround work?

peace,
    Tom
  • I played around with Zotero about a year ago and didn't find many of the features i needed. I was really impressed with all the changes I when I reinstalled it today and was ready to make the jump until i saw that "labels" were not a field in the "info" tab.

I have used endnote to organize my resources and then export into bibtex. The label field is vital to provide keys for bibtex references. The auto-generation of keys is not an option for me as I want to work with documents already in progress. I also have my own system for citation keys in bibtex that I would like to retain.

I would switch to zotero in a heartbeart if I could retain the labels...so just want to echo the previous comments.

Thanks!
  • i hunted around the page, but can't seem to find the patch/workaround mentioned above... can someone post a link or a detailed description?

thanks!
  • http://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev/browse_frm/thread/cf21e177cf311f34