Self-contained citation data in word /open/libre/office documents

The group functionality is not enough for informaly organized teams, jointly collaborating on a document.

I use Zotero. My workmate uses Zotero.
We both have our library and a group library. We seldom use the group functionality.

If I receive a word / openoffice document I almost never have his citations and vice versa.

The Word-Document / Open Ofice / Libre Office docuemnt should maintain fullly functionaly citation information.

The respective plugins should be able to import exisiting references in a document into the personal library.
  • This will happen eventually. But if you used the group library, that would also work.
  • FWIW, Simon and Mendeley developers have, I think, worked out a solution for this. It's now implemented in Mendeley. My hope is that once it's implemented in Zotero, people will be able to collaborate on documents not only between Zotero users, but also Mendeley (and that maybe other bib software will also support the same approach).
  • Love to hear that and as "Mendeley" was already droped: I saw this functionality advertised as a 1.0 feature and while I'm not using Mendeley, I can envision this a very useful feature.

@Simon: Group collaboration works without any doubt. But the more informal the collaboration is, the less likely it becomes that peers gather in Zotero Groups.