zotero preferences crash firefox after some changes in proxy menu

Hi,
I've made Zotero language file updates (localization) and playing with different menu in Zotero preferences to show various messages context.

After clicking some radio buttons in "Proxy" menu (I haven't done some specific option entered in any field!) Firefox crashes without any error message. Since that Zotero working, but EVERY try to enter into "Preferences" menu results:

1. Proxy menu is shown.
2. No reaction from Zotero (if trying to click some other menu of sth.)
3. After a few seconds Firefox crashes.

Is ti known bug or some workaround to fix this? Regards,

--
Michal
  • Firefox can crash if strings are corrupt or missing in the current locale. This is almost certainly a result of your localization changes. Try setting Firefox's locale to en-US, where all the strings should be present. You'll need to identify the missing or bad strings and fix them.
  • edited July 23, 2011
    I have done localization changes outside of Zotero in text editor (and in another trunk version). NOT doing any localization changes in running Zotero or version installed. Just playing with menu options. It is definitely not connected with Zotero crash.

When clicking "Preferences" and menu "Proxies" is shown and freezes, first and second checkboxes are checked and .edu suffix is entered in other field. Well, I don't use any proxies and didn't entered that. After ca 10 seconds of freeze, Firefox crashes.

Not working: rebooting, restarting Firefox, deleting extension* files in Firefox profile directory.
  • If it's a real crash (and not just a freeze), go to about:crashes in Firefox, generate a report from one of the relevant crashes, and post the Mozilla URL here.

You can also generate real-time debug output and see what's at the end of the output when it freezes/crashes.
  • 1) in Firefox about:crashes there is no crash report or accident

2) Zotero real-time debug output from console (only last lines):

zotero(3): DATE: could not apply algorithms
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2011, month:4, day:18})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2010, month:6, day:26})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2009, month:11, day:5})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2011, month:4, day:23})
    zotero(3): Translate: WARNING: new Zotero.Translate() is deprecated; please don't use this if you don't have to
    zotero(5): SELECT leafName, translatorJSON, code, lastModifiedTime FROM translatorCache
    zotero(3): Cached 339 translators in 70 ms
    zotero(3): Translate: Searching for translators for an undisclosed location
    zotero(5): SELECT key AS domainPath, value AS format FROM settings WHERE setting='quickCopySite' ORDER BY domainPath COLLATE NOCASE
    /usr/bin/firefox: line 142: 5877 Naruszenie ochrony pamięci $MOZ_PROGRAM "$@"

The last line is a Polish message: SEGMENTATION FAULT, and it is shown while crash after freeze.
  • Based on your debug output, I assume this is a Linux system. What distribution are you running? Can you give the official Firefox download a try and see if you can reproduce this?
  • openSUSE 11.1 (Linux 2.6.27.56-0.1-default i686, KDE 4.4.1). My Firefox is quite up to date (5.0, not 5.0.1, but the site you've linked is showing: 'Your Firefox is up to date') and I've get it from distro repositories (http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1/). I will try to reproduce this behavior in another fresh Firefox profile and let you know.
  • A version from the openSUSE site is not the official Firefox download.
  • I am using the latest official stable Firefox release on Debian. I have the exact same issue. Zotero detected my use of a web proxy to access Google scholar, asked me if I wanted to use it thereafter (to which I agreed). Now the Zotero preferences window crashes. I have a separate profile for this version of Firefox so there's not some kind of cross-version issues.

I'd would post info from the debug console but I can't turn on the debug console (opening the preferences window crashes the browser).
  • mce, is this the download from Mozilla or a package? You an enable debug logging without opening the preferences by going to about:config, setting extensions.zotero.debug.log to true, and restarting Firefox.
  • Thanks. This is on Firefox 5.0.1 (bzip package downloaded from mozilla.org less than one week ago).

After opening the preferences window, here's what shows up in the debug log:

zotero(5): SELECT COUNT(*) FROM fulltextItems WHERE (indexedPages IS NOT NULL AND indexedPages=totalPages) OR (indexedChars IS NOT NULL AND indexedChars=totalChars)
    zotero(5): SELECT COUNT(*) FROM fulltextItems WHERE (indexedPages IS NOT NULL AND indexedPages<totalPages) OR (indexedChars IS NOT NULL AND indexedChars<totalChars)
    zotero(5): SELECT COUNT(*) FROM itemAttachments WHERE itemID NOT IN (SELECT itemID FROM fulltextItems WHERE indexedPages IS NOT NULL OR indexedChars IS NOT NULL)
    zotero(5): SELECT COUNT(*) FROM fulltextWords
    zotero(3): Cached 16 styles in 18 ms
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2009, month:4, day:20})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2010, month:1, day:6})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2010, month:2, day:15})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2010, month:1, day:7})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2010, month:2, day:14})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2010, month:1, day:27})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2008, month:9, day:20})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2008, month:9, day:28})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2010, month:0, day:27})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2010, month:1, day:23})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2009, month:11, day:7})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2009, month:11, day:31})
    zotero(3): DATE: retrieved with algorithms: ({year:2009, month:8, day:14})
    zotero(3): Translate: WARNING: new Zotero.Translate() is deprecated; please don't use this if you don't have to
    zotero(3): Translate: Searching for translators for an undisclosed location
    zotero(5): SELECT key AS domainPath, value AS format FROM settings WHERE setting='quickCopySite' ORDER BY domainPath COLLATE NOCASE
    Segmentation fault
  • Same problem here (freeze when entering preferences):
    Centos-release-5-6.el5
    Kernel 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Apr 12 18:10:13 EDT 2011 x86_64
    Firefox 5.0
    Zotero 2.1.8

Also, when I leave the proxy auto-redirect on it redirects me to an HTTP ERROR 430 every time I go to sciencedirect.com which is very annoying.
  • Can one of you try the 2.1 branch XPI and let us know if it fixes the issue? If it doesn't, can you tell us what window manager you're running?
  • Simon, I don't know how you fixed it, but both my problems seem to have gone away after installing the 2.1 branch! Thanks a lot!