Bug report: copying attachment moves, doesn't copy

I try to copy an attachment from one entry to another by dragging and holding control (Windows, FF3.6, Z1.2.8). Zotero does show a nice [+] cursor (replicating OS behavior), but actually the attachment is moved, not copied.

Right now the only way to copy an attachment is to do "show file" on the first and then attach the file to the second entry.
  • Dragging any child item—note or attachment—to another parent moves it, by design. The only bug would be the "+" (which isn't there on OS X).
  • But there was talk about creating some modifier buttons for drag&drop, no?
    I still think it'd be nice to have an option to move items between collections instead of copying them and I think it's reasonable to want to be able to copy child items rather than move them.
  • edited July 19, 2011
    Yes, there's a very old ticket about this (which is technically about the indicator but implies that there would be two separate actions available).

It definitely makes sense to provide a move option between collections, but I'm not sure about copying file attachments (which would duplicate them on disk).
  • I can see that - I think moving between collections is more important and doesn't really have a downside.
    As for attachments: I see the problem, but on the other hand most OS have the copy option as mark notes and if it's enabled by a key it's not like people would accidentally double child items.
  • It definitely makes sense to provide a move option between collections, but I'm not sure about copying file attachments (which would duplicate them on disk).
    One sometimes has PDFs that contain more than one item. In such cases it can be useful to copy the attachment. Disk space is not a real problem anymore today. I don't see why the option would be disabled.
  • I'm with mark here in principle. The only other issue I see is that the behavior could be confusing: Shift+click items moves them - Shift+click attachments copies them
    So if at all possible that should really be combined with correct tooltips i.e. + for copy and whatever else for move.